Chapter 3, Wings

I sit alone at the dinner table. I woke up early for work again. I didn't feel tired. Vix walks into the kitchen, "Ready to go?" I nodded and got up, I grabbed my bag. Me and Vix went out the door and ran to the coffee shop.

When we got our coffee, we walked to the library to save our energy. "How are you feeling?" Vix asked me. "Good." I sipped my coffee, "That's good! I brought the medicine so I can apply it to your wings while we are at work." Vix gave me a smile. "How are we going to do that?" I asked while cocking my head. "Mono has a bathroom in the library, we can use that." Vix patted my head, "We're almost here, when your wings or back starts hurting let me know!" They open the door for me to the library. "Thanks.." I said. "No problem!"

"You guys are here early." Mono put down some books, "Carol should be coming by now." Xey grab more books and set it on the table. I throw away my coffee cup and went to go help Mono. They stared at me, I was confused so I asked. "What's wrong?"  Mono snapped back, "Your wings.." It pointed. "I never seen something like that."

"Something bad happened to their wings, I don't want to explain it." Vix walked up to Mono immediately. "Oh..Alright...sorry for asking." Xey walked away. "It's okay!" I said with a smile. I heard the door open and it was Carol. I waved at them but they continued to walk past me so I stopped. "Place is about to open soon, get everything ready!" Mono went to go set the doors open and Vix went to go help them. "Oh! The books placed on the table are new ones! You and Carol can put up those." Mono shouted while at the doors. I nodded and grabbed some of the books and so did Carol.

~ Carol's POV ~

As I followed Mercury to the shelves of books, I noticed something wrong about their wings. It seemed..small..or ripped apart..blood on the bandaged could be seen. As we reached the shelves I put the books in their correct spots. I watched Mercury carefully, I finally got the confidence to ask them the question with their wings.

"What happened to your wings?"

Mercury stopped and the book fell over,
"Something bad happened to it, I don't want to explain it."
It was silent, Mercury picked up the book and placed it on the shelf.

"Whatever happened to it..it doesn't look good." I said

"I've been to the hospital."
"I'll be fine."

Mercury was finished with the books,
"Are you done with the books yet?"

"Mhm."
I nodded

After that, the place was open and people started to come in. It wasn't that busy, I was watching Mercury carefully again. It was recommended by Mono but I didn't really care and they never gave me a reason. As I turned away, I heard crashing.

~Mercury's POV~

I fell on my back, I tripped over a rack of books. Carol runs over me with a mad look. "MERCURY!! WATCH WHERE THE HELL YOU'RE GOING." I covered my ears from their loud yelling. "idiot..IDIOT!!" I hear them yell.
I start crying and screaming, "CAROL! SHUT THE FUCK UP!" Mono yelled and went to go check on me, Vix helped me up and hugged me.

"Did you not remember what I told you?" Mono calmed themselves down. "Why would I care about that?" Carol let out a grin. "I'm this close to firing you." Mono let out a dead look. Carol backed away and gave me a glare and stomped away. "Agh..my wings hurt so much..." I tried to lift myself to stand but to only fall back into Vix's arms. "I'll be right back..I'll be back.." They ran off. They ran back and they were holding the medicine. Vix grabs a bunch of cotton balls from the bag and pours the medicine on the cotton ball and places it on my wings.

It was a painful process, but Vix was finished. Vix sighed in relief. "You guys can go home early." Mono walked away. "Give Mercury some rest, take care of them." They smiled at the both of us. I grabbed some of the bloody cotton balls and threw them away in a nearby trash can. Vix picked up the bag and placed the medicine back inside. "Let's go now.." Vix said with a worried, sad looking face. I nodded and as we were walking to the exit, I noticed that Carol was giving me a death stare. I immediately looked away in fear.

We left the library, "You alright now?" Vix turned their head towards me. "Yeah." I said while looking down. It was silent, we didn't really talk to each other that much. Which I sorta need, but I still wanted to talk to Vix. As we arrived home, Vix opened the door and I quietly said "Thank you." I walked to the couch and sat down.

After a few minutes, Vix hands me water from the kitchen. "Thanks." I drank the water and placed it on the table. "No problem." Vix rubbed my head. "Sorry about what happened today." They looked at me again with a sad look. "No need to apologize.." I drank my water again. "I fell over because my wings were hurting like hell and I couldn't control my stance.." I put my water down and hugged Vix's arm. "You wanna go to sleep now?" I asked while looking up at them. "Yeah sure." Vix picked me like I was a cat. "Put me down." I struggled trying to get out but Vix's grip was tight. "Alright, alright." Vix places me down on the couch. "Let's go now." I got up and Vix followed me to our room.

We lay down right next to each other, Vix kisses me on the head. "Good night." Vix said. "Good night.." I was getting sleepy so I closed my eyes.