Chapter 4, Watched

I was at work again, I was exhausted and my break was longer. The coffee didn't help that much. As I remember from yesterday, I felt bad for Carol..I didn't want them to look bad. They were late today, and it's 12:20PM. I felt the stress and guilt get to me.

I started to scratch my neck. It didn't leave a mark. I continued even more with aggression but someone stops me by holding my arm. It was Mono, they had a worried look. "Mono?" I didn't understand why they stopped me. Mono sits down right next to me.

"You shouldn't do that to yourself, it'll kill you if you continued even deeper." Mono put my arm down. "Oh..really.." I touched my neck and felt faint scars. Mono nodded. "Maybe I can give you something that'll help you.." Mono rushed to get something. Xey ran back with a item in its hand. "Here." Mono handed it to me. It was a cat stress toy. I grabbed it and played with it for a while. "T-Thank you." I felt so happy as it rested in my hands. "You can keep it. It not that old but I had it for a while." Mono sat down right next to me again. "Your break should be over in 30 minutes. You can play with that toy." Mono gave me a warm smile. "Yeah!"

10 minutes pass by, Mono went to go help Vix with something. I've been playing with the stress toy for a while and I haven't stopped. I hear the door open, Carol arrived at work with dead eyes. I wanted to wave at them, but their eyes looked seriously dead. It twitched. "It's best to not talk to them for now." Mono walked up to me. "Alright.." I continued to play with the toy and stared at Carol for a bit. They were standing alone mumbling something. I squinted my eyes.

"K i l l"
"K i l l"
"K i l l"
"K i l l"
"K i l l"
"K i l l"

Carol noticed me looking at them, I turned away immediately and stared at the stress toy instead. "Mercury, break is over in 10 minutes!" Mono said while helping Vix. "Yeah!" I said with a nervous tone.  I went back to looking at the stress toy. It made me feel a bit better. I finally calmed down. My break ended and I went to work.

I was sorting out some books that needed to be in the right spot. After that, I check multiple times nonstop to see if they were in the right spot. Until I felt someone watching me, I couldn't tell who it was. I already put the plush in my backpack and its on a table far away. I couldn't calm myself. I slowly turned, no one was there. As I turned back,

My eyes widened
I felt the fear enter me as I try to catch my thoughts
Carol is on the other side of the bookshelf.

they had those dead eyes again.

this time it looks
scary
and angry looking
I afraid to move
I was on the far side of the library
no one was around
it was just me and Carol.

"Mercury."
They spoke

"Huh."
I was confused.

Carol pointed at something behind me
I slowly turned away
I looked around

no one was there
no one was there.

I turned back,

they weren't there
-
"Carol?" I said while looking around everywhere

I felt tears form in my eyes

--

It was silent
the library wasn't that busy
and Vix and Mono were busy helping each other.

I start to hear faint footsteps behind me
from the left then right
right behind me
beside me
in front of me

I thought I was hallucinating from the fear
the stress on me was getting worse.

I started to scratch my neck again
each footstep was making me go insane slowly
each footstep made myself itch even more

"No more.."
I start sobbing quietly
"No more..please.."
I wipe my tears as they kept coming

"Mercury."

I jumped back, it was Carol that had a worried look.
"Carol?" I wiped off my tears off completely
They gave me a long stare
"You don't look so well..you.."
Carol tilted their head
"Sorry." I said

It went silent.

"How    did      you      feel   about     being watched     the  wh ole     time."

Carol said with a wide grin

I knew it
they were watching me
"Scared." I responded back

"Good."
They got closer towards me

"Get the hell away from me!"  I yelled loudly
Carol ran towards me and started strangling me

"I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU!! YOU MADE ME LOOK BAD IN FRONT OF MONO!!! I FUCKING HATE YOU." They yelled and the pressure gets worse and worse as I try to break free away from them. I hear running footsteps, Carol gets kicked to the ground by Vix. I see Mono running in. "Mercury you okay?" Vix said while picking me up. "Yeah...I think I'm fine.." I say while slowly nodding.

Mono wanted us to go home early, it was a stressful day. I didn't understand why Carol was like that, they were scary and threatening.

It's my fault
I made them feel bad
I made them that way.

I felt the guilt grow in me as I felt like crying again.

"Mercury..are you alright?" Vix asked me
"Yeah." I nodded

"Do you think it's your fault?" Vix stopped walking
I looked up at them
"How did you know?"
I questioned them
"Just a hunch..but if you think that way..it's not your fault. It's nobody's fault. You know...Carol has been like that for a while from what I've heard from Mono.."
Vix continued to walk
I followed them.

"Really...they've been like that?"
I said,
Vix nodded
"Going into detail isn't good though....for you.....sorry Mercury."
Vix had a sad look

"it's okay." I hold their hand.

As we arrived home, we got in and went to our room. Lilith walked in. "You guys are home early." They said while leaning on the wall. "Something happened, so our boss told us to go home early." Vix said while taking stuff out of their bag. "Ah really..explain to me later if you want." They left. "Okay.." Vix said while walking out the door.

As I finished taking out stuff out of my bag, I went to go shower. I was exhausted, I grabbed the cat stress toy and played with it until I fell asleep.