Chapter Six

"But how do you say goodbye when your heart still wants to hold on?"

- Unknown

Luna's POV

Six Months Later

Rushing down the stairs, I feel my hair whip behind me as I dart past people. When I say everyone here is taller than me, I mean everyone. This is a high school after all. I weave my small body between the people around me, making my way down towards the front row of seats. I knew I should have gone to the bathroom before I left the house. If I had, I wouldn't be almost late for the game.

Today is Oli's first basketball game of the season. He's in his junior year of high school now and this is the first year he's made it to varsity. He's always liked basketball and always been really good at it, but over the last year or so, he's gotten amazing. Colleges are already looking to give him scholarships in a couple years.

I attend every single one of his games. Obviously, I'm his best friend. Claire and Zoey picked me up this evening to bring me to the game. It's a Friday night, so Oli stayed after school rather than going home before the game. I know he's nervous. This is a big deal for him.

I rush along the front row, running past people to get to where Claire and Zoey are seated. We got here super early to be able to sit right in the front row. I'm so excited to watch Oli play.

Spotting them a couple seats down, I let out a sigh of relief, flopping down in the seat they've saved for me between them. Claire raises her brows, "You alright, Luna?"

I nod hurriedly, trying to catch my breath, "I thought I was going to miss the start of the game."

Zoey chuckles, "You're on time, babe. They're starting in a couple of minutes."

Relief floods through me and I look across the basketball court, trying to find Oli. I spot him standing with his teammates, surrounded by their coach. I sit up straighter, hoping to catch his attention before the game starts. I haven't had the chance to wish him good luck.

Luckily, I don't have to try very hard to catch his eye. His gaze darts to me and his previously stoic face melts into an easy smile. I give him a wide grin, hoping he'll come over here before he goes on to play.

The seconds are ticking down as the start time gets closer and closer, but finally his coach stops talking. They disperse, some getting into position or stretching or talking amongst themselves. Oli heads straight for us, his eyes set on me and I resist the urge to jump up and run to him.

He stops in front of me, leaning over to give his moms each a kiss on the cheek before he crouches down before me. He balances himself with his hands on my knees. His deep brown eyes twinkle up at me with his smile.

"Are you ready?" I ask him, leaning in closer to him.

He nods, "Born ready, Little One." Despite his words, he looks nervous.

Smiling, I lift my hands to his face and cup his cheeks, squishing them together slightly. "You're going to do great. I believe in you, Oli."

He closes his eyes and gives me a little nod, "Thank you."

The ref blows his whistle, signalling that the game will be starting in a minute and for all the players to get on the court. Oli turns his head to look back for a second and I soften my grip on his cheeks. He turns back to me, a little bit of panic flashing in his eyes.