Chapter Eight

"But how do you let go of the person that felt like home?"

- Unknown

Luna's POV

Four Months Later

"That best friend of yours is getting pretty isn't she?" I hear Nev say to Oli and I know he's talking about me. My cheeks flush red but I pretend I don't hear them, bouncing the basketball in my hands a couple times. I jump up and let it fly towards the hoop, successfully getting it.

"She's only just turned thirteen, Nev. That's creepy as hell." Oli scolds him somewhere behind me as I grab the ball, going back to dribbling it as I reposition myself in front of the net.

"I didn't mean it like that! It was just a general observation that she's a pretty kid. I would never look at her that way, that's disgusting. She's like my little sister." Nev defends himself, sounding sincere.

"Yeah, well, I still don't like you making comments like that about her." Oli grumbles as I shoot for the net, missing this time and watching the ball bounce off the rim. It bounces over to where the boys are standing and Oli catches it.

I walk closer and hold my hands out for it. "Are we going to play or what?"

Oli smiles, leaving Nev on the sidelines of the basketball court and heading for me. It's nearing the send of summer break now and we're at the local park we always go to. "Go on then. You up to playing against me?"

I playfully size him up. "Sure. Might have to go easy on you though. Don't want to bruise your ego too much."

Oli just laughs, stepping up to me and bending down to reach my height. "Come on then, I can't play without your good luck."

I roll my eyes at him, but comply nevertheless. Holding his face in my hands, I lean down and press a quick kiss to his cheek - his right cheek, the same spot on the apple of his cheek every time. Then I murmur, "You've got this, Oli. I love you."

Ever since he won his first game on varsity team his junior year after a long losing streak the previous year, he's been convinced that it was me doing that that helped him win. Before every game he makes me kiss his cheek and repeat those words to him. And to be fair, the one game that I couldn't make it to during his junior year, he lost. Besides, I don't mind telling him I love him if it gives him peace of mind.

He grins, standing up to his full height and handing the basketball to me. "Ladies first."

I take the ball from him and grin right back. "How very gentlemanly."

Of course I lose the game. I mean, he's a giant and I'm about half his size. The odds were never in my favour. But that doesn't stop it from being fun all the same. Oli plays Nev next then Nev plays me and we continue like that, taking breaks whenever we feel like it and hanging out all afternoon. When the sun starts going down later in the evening, I know my parents will be expecting me home. Oli seems to be thinking the same thing as he stands up from his seat on the ground.

"We better get going. I've got to drop Luna home soon." Oli tells Nev, offering a hand down to me to help me up. He tugs me up gently then hooks an arm over my shoulders, pulling me into his side.

Nev stands up as well, brushing himself off. "Do you want to come around to Cory's tonight, man? You said maybe last time we spoke, so..."

Oli thinks it over for a second, looking down at me then looking up at Nev. "Alright, I'll come over for a little. I can't stay too late though."