Chapter Thirteen

"I caught myself smiling and then realised I was thinking about you."

- Unknown

Luna's POV

Eight Months Later

"What about a 'crying over popcorn and Hallmark Christmas movies' weekend?" I suggest, glancing to my left at Alana who walks alongside me.

She thinks it over for a moment before countering, "Or we could have a 'crying over discounted Valentines chocolates and sad romance movies' weekend."

I narrow my eyes, a little smile lifting my lips, "You know I love a good discount, Laney."

"I play a good bargain, huh?" She grins.

Sighing, I reply, "Alright, you've forced my arm. Discounted chocolate wins. But you have to deal with the aftermath of The Notebook."

"Done," she sticks her hand out to me and I laugh, shaking it, "Nice doing business with you, Luney."

We walk into our history class and that puts an end to our conversation as we take our usual seats. Side-by-side, middle row, halfway to the back. Perfect position to take notes but also not get caught if we pass notes or talk during class.

"You ready for Monday's test?" I ask as I take out my notebook and pencil case from my bag.

Alana groans quietly, "Not at all. I don't get how you're so good at this stuff."

I smile and tap the side of my head, "It's all about memorising facts and making it work towards one perspective or another."

"It's fantastic that that comes naturally to you, Luney, but some of us," she points to herself with eyebrows raised, "aren't as gifted. My brain isn't built for that."

I laugh and reassure her, "We'll get some studying in this weekend."

We still have a few minutes before our lesson is meant to start, so I take a couple seconds to take in my surroundings. As I smooth disc pendants on the necklace around my neck, I zone in on a conversation going on behind me and I perk up at the mention of a particular name.

"Oli King is killing it in his rookie season."

"He's not bad, but Alec Trainer is next level, dude."

"No way! King's running on 31 points per game. And the season's barely started!"

"Nah, I swear he was only on 29. Trainer is on 30 at the moment. But his last game was insane."

I glance at my left and lock eyes with Alana. She's overheard their conversation too. She leans closer and whispers, "He's not on 31 points, is he?"

And being Oli King's best friend of nine years, of course I know his damn basketball stats. "No he is not."

Of course I can't help myself from butting in, so I quickly swivel in my chair to face the two boys. I recognise them - obviously, because we share this class together - but can't pinpoint their names. They both shoot their gazes to me with questioning looks.

I offer them a little smile, "He's on 33 points per game, last time I checked. Oli, that is. His last game against the Bulls bumped him up from 31 a few days ago."