Chapter Thirty-Five

"I don't care how complicated this gets, I still want you."

- unknown

Oli's POV

An indescribable feeling of satisfaction and happiness has settled deep into my bones and stays with my throughout my day. Nothing seems to be able to break my spirit. The thought of seeing Luna tonight pushes me through, and for once, it's hard to keep my smile off my face.

Rick gives me a call when I'm on my lunch break. We became really close while I was playing for the Lakers and he was part of security. I haven't had much time to catch up since I've been home, so I'm happy to hear from him.

"You sure didn't wait long," Is one of the first things he says to me.

My brows furrow, "What are you talking about?"

He chuckles, "It's all over the internet, King. You and that little Darlin' of yours. You finally realised your feelings! I'm proud of ya!"

My blood runs cold. "What's all over the internet? How do they know? Are there photos?"

"Oh shít, you really haven't seen, have you?" His voice grows somber, "Oli, there's photos of you and Luna huggin' and kissin' all over social media. They've figured out who she is to you too."

"Fúck," I murmur, running a hand over my face. They must have caught us outside Luna's work this morning. I've had plenty of experience with the paparazzi in my time playing basketball, but I've always done a good job of keeping them out of my personal life. I thought this shít would die down a little now that I've retired, but I guess not. "What are they saying?"

"Well, most of it is sayin' that you two look cute together and all that shít, but..."

"But what Rick?" I snap, worry flying through me. People on the internet are nasty as hell and I don't want Luna to be on the receiving end of any of it.

"Some of the things they're sayin' about your girl ain't great, Oli." He admits lowly.

"Like what?" I ask immediately.

"I ain't gonna repeat it." Rick mutters and I can sense the anger in his voice on behalf of Luna. That tells me it can't be good.

"Thanks for letting me know, Rick. I've gotta go." I tell him hurriedly before ending the call. I don't even think, I just stand from my desk, grab my keys and head outside to my car. The drive to Luna's work is quick and I hurry out of the car and towards the building.

I spot the receptionist at the main desk and rush over, quickly asking, "I need to see Luna Carter. What floor is she on?"

The woman stares up at me, wide-eyed and gaping. "You're- You're-"

"Oli King, yes." I resist the urge to roll my eyes, "I'll be back here plenty of times, I'm sure, so if you want a signature or something, I can do that for you another day. I just need to get to Luna."

She blinks up at me once. Twice. Three times then clears her throat. "Right. Of course. And who are you to her?"

That's a loaded question. I think on it for a second before settling with the least complicated and most fitting answer. "I'm her... boyfriend." I swallow roughly. One day, I hope.

The woman's eyes widen further. "Right. Yes, okay. Would you like me to call her down or give you directions to her office?"

I raise my brows, "If I'm allowed up, that would be great."