Chapter Twenty-One

"My heart is so full of you I can hardly call it my own."

- Liana Radulescu

Luna's POV

Two And A Half Years Later

I'm sorry I can't call before your game. You're going to do amazing. You've got this, Oli. Love you x

Guilt pools in my stomach as I send the text, but I know there's nothing I can do. This is the first time in Oli's career that I haven't been able to call him before a game. And I know that's going to throw him off, but it will just be this once.

Oli's across the country playing a game tonight, so the times result in the game being in the middle of the day where I am. Falling right in the middle of the mock trial we have today. The mock trial that I've been preparing for for weeks and weeks on end. I graduate Harvard Law next month and this isn't something I can afford to miss.

"Luna, you ready?" My gaze snaps up from my phone and I quickly turn it off, smiling at my friend, Vienna.

I give a stiff nod and follow her as we walk through to the hall. "Absolutely."

The trial starts off well. It's as every trial I've ever seen and I'm prepared. I'm on the side of the prosecution and we have a solid case. A case I know we'll win.

But by the time the first five-minute break is called, a bad feeling has settled deep inside me. I can't shake it off. It's not just the guilt for not calling Oli. Something isn't right.

I try to push the thought away, but it becomes impossible. While the defendant is speaking, my phone buzzes on the table. I glance down, worry shooting through me when I see that a text has come through from my mother. I decide not to read it, knowing it's probably a good luck text or an update on the score for Oli's game.

Another buzz follows a few seconds after. A second text from my mother. Then a third. Then she calls me. I stare down at the call for a second before declining, letting out a deep breath and focusing once more.

Vienna leans closer to me, eyebrows furrowed, "Is everything okay?" She asks, concerned.

I manage a nod and a stiff smile.

But everything is not okay. The gut feeling I have grows stronger and I know why. I didn't call Oli before his game for the first time ever. My mom keeps calling me. I have a text from my dad now as well. Two. And a message from Claire.

When that message comes through I know something is seriously wrong. My hand darts forward and I grab my phone, quickly checking the message for Claire.

Oli's game didn't go well. He got knocked down in the second quarter and injured his leg. It's not looking good.

My immediate response is to shoot up from my seat and everyone's eyes turn to me. I open my mouth, eyes wide, not sure what to say. My heart races and I manage to rush out, "I- I'm sorry. I have to- to take a phone call. It's um, a family emergency. Sorry."

I rush out of the room as fast as I can, my heels tapping against the ground. I push through the doors and walk out into the foyer, pressing my phone to my ear. Mom picks up on the second ring.

"Luna?"

"Mom, what happened to him? Is he okay?" Panic seeps into my words, a hand lifting to rest on my chest as I await her words. My heart won't stop racing.