Chapter Twenty-Seven

"We didn't need words, we just looked at each other and smiled."

- unknown

Oli's POV

We live in the same place again, Oli. It'll be soon.

Those words have been replaying in my head over and over again ever since I dropped Luna home last night. I've been at work all day, trying to focus, and yet those words are all I can seem to think about.

Her words confuse me. Because to me, soon seems like in a day or two. But to her it might mean next week. Do we have to organise something? Or am I going to have to wait until I run into her? Do I just show up at her place? Or do I wait for her to call me?

But I don't want to bother her. She's starting her new job today and I don't want to be a distraction. Maybe I'll text her later tonight.

I'm jolted out of my thoughts when my phone rings. The first thing I do is glance up at the clock on the wall across from my desk in my new office. It's just past six o'clock at night. Next I glance down at my phone that buzzes on the desk beside me. My eyes widen at the call and I immediately scramble to answer it, cursing myself for not checking seconds sooner.

"Hi, Little One."

"Oli," She breathes my name as a sigh of relief and that sigh seeps into my veins, coursing through my body and lighting me on fire.

I push away the weird feeling and instead answer with a smile, "That's me. Everything alright?"

There's a pause. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just... wanted to see how your day went."

My eyes narrow in thought. She's hiding something. "It's going fine. But I'm not the one with an interesting day, am I? How did you find the new job? Is being a lawyer everything you'd hoped it would be?"

I hear her suck in a small breath and I wait patiently for her to answer. When she does, her words are thick like she's struggling to get them out. "Yeah, everything went well. There's just um... A lot to take in, y'know? Sometimes I worry I'm not cut out for this, but if I got through law school, how hard can it be?"

I don't reply for a moment, wanting to chose my words carefully. I can tell she struggled today. I can hear it in her voice. And that's not much of a surprise, starting a new job is very overwhelming. She needs someone to talk her through it, to encourage her, to reassure her. That's why she called me. And yet she won't ask for my help with that.

"Little Luna, are you home yet?"

"No, I'm just walking from the building to my car now." She tells me, voice wobbling slightly.

"Well, I've got a few things to finish off here still - I'm still at work. Why don't you pick us up some food and meet me here for dinner? You can keep me company while I finish up my paperwork. Does that sound good?" I ask, keeping my voice calm and steady. She doesn't need enthusiasm or sympathy or false promises. She needs consistency and stability, which I will always be willing to provide for her.

She lets out a long breath. "Anything you feel like in particular?"

I smile, glad my idea is working. "Whatever you want, Little One. I'll text you the address of my office, alright?"

"Okay, Oli. I'll be over soon."

"I'll be waiting." I assure her. "Drive carefully."

The call disconnects and I place my phone back on my desk. Leaning back in my chair, I stare up at the ceiling for a moment. I guess my thoughts now have an answer.