Chapter 17:

AKEELA'S POV...

(Friday Night)

As soon as I get back to my dorm, I quickly reply and tell Elona to message me if she needs something. As I think back on today, I can't help but smile, when I recall the time I spent with Ian. Two days ago if someone said I'd enjoy Ian's company, I'd just laugh hysterically. 

It's quite late, so as soon as I close my eyes, I quickly fall asleep.

The following day, I started working on my Criminology and English Lit notes and decide to leave at around 3 pm to go to the local coffee shop. Just as I make my way out of the dorm, I see Elona's Aunt - Jemima. I recall Elona saying she went to her aunt's house and as far as I know her Aunt Jemima is the only aunt that lives in South Korea. I greet her and she asks about Elona, I quickly catch on and realize Elona was not at her aunt's place, and make up an excuse saying that Elona went to an extra lesson. She hands me a Tupperware to give to Elona and tells us to visit her soon. We say our goodbyes and I head back to Elona's dorm to put the Tupperware in the fridge. I scribble on a sticky note - "Pasta from your Aunt Jemima."

Why would Elona lie to me? I choose not to confront her just yet and decide to give her space and wait for her to explain everything.

I reached the coffee shop and went straight to the manager. Yesterday I heard a barista talking about being short on staff and I really needed the community service hours - and maybe a job too, if the coffee shop did not find any other employees. I talk to the owner, Mokyo, and he explains that I can work 12 hours without pay, and then start as an official Frodieur Jindong employee. Frodieur Jindong is a French - Korean fusion coffee shop, which is a very popular in the area - Yeonseo students seem to like the place.

Mokyo decided to show me the ropes on how to prepare the beverages. Mokyo is roughly 6'0 with black hair. He's covered in tattoos and has a resting b*tch face. Now that I think of it, he kind of reminds me of Ian. I mentally slap myself as I catch myself thinking about Ian. He and I aren't friends and we'll never be friends or anything else for that matter. Ian and I are both from different leagues - he clearly has his clique and I have my own.

The clock soon hits 9 pm and it is closing time

The clock soon hits 9 pm and it is closing time. I ask Mokyo to sign my community service hours, say my goodbyes, and begin my cycle back to the dorms. Thankfully the dorms only close at 10 pm and I make it back just in time. I decide to facetime my mum, and I immediately fall into a deep slumber.

On Sunday, I make my way to Frodieur Jindong for my shift at 7 am. I greet Mokyo and as the day continues, I meet a few other employees who are really welcoming. Noon arrives and it is almost time for my shift to end. I messed up 2 beverages, but to my surprise, the customers were really chill and ended up actually liking my messed-up version.

"1 iced Americano and 2 pain au chocolat," I hear a familiar voice say. I turn around and see Ian and smile at him. I quickly make his Americano as he makes small talk with me. "What time does your shift end?" Ian asks. "1 pm" I reply. "Hold on I think they baked fresh chocolatines, I'll get those for you." I hurry into the kitchen to grab two chocolatines, bumping into Mokyo. He hands me my hours' sheet. "See you next week Saturday at 8 am sharp." He smiles. I hand Ian his order, grab my bag and we make our way out together. To my surprise, Ian hands me one of his chocolatines, "Mmh, it's still warm." I say.

 "Since when did you start working at Frodieurs? Also where are you headed right now, I can drop you off if you want." Ian states. "Yesterday, I needed it for the community service hours, oh and I'm headed to Namdaemun Market. Ah sh*t that's hot!" I reply, as I finish the last bits of my pain au chocolat. "NAMDAEMUN MARKET?! It's full of tourists and everything's everywhere. Just thinking about that place makes me claustrophobic." Ian adds dramatically. "Okay Ian, I guess I'll just take an Uber," I reply dryly. "No no no, I didn't say I wouldn't take you, I just said Namdaemun Market is overcrowded. How 'bout I take you to Lotte Mart instead." He adds cautiously. "No," I add to annoy him. "Hurry up, I already typed it into Google Maps and I want to watch Netflix later," I say.

Ian has an apple green Mercedes Benz GTR, which sounds amazing when he revs it. If Ian and I ever get closer, I'm definitely going to ask him if I can drive it.

It takes us about 10 minutes to reach Namdaemun Market and just as Ian predicted, it was overcrowded

It takes us about 10 minutes to reach Namdaemun Market and just as Ian predicted, it was overcrowded. Tourists were everywhere but the groceries looked fresh. After buying what I needed, I kept getting distracted by the other available goods. I could clearly see the discomfort and annoyance present on Ian's face. I haven't paid much attention to him while we were at the market but I did catch an old lady playing with his hair which made me chuckle.

Ian finally convinced me that it was time to leave, he drove me back to the dorms, and I brought up the fact that the old lady played with his hair. "You wish that was you, huh?" he said grumpily. I hit him on the shoulder and thanked him.

Just as I was about to open the door and leave Ian reaches for something and tosses a black bag on my lap. "Those are for Elona, I saw the look of pain on her face when Live took her Choco Pies". I smile. "Oh thank you, I'll be sure to give them to her."

I quickly make my way into my dorm, not noticing Elona getting out of her taxi.

- End of Chapter 17 - 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

What would you do if your friend lied about their whereabouts? 

Do you think Akeela handled it properly?