Chapter 32: The Sacrifice

Author...

Everyone was tired. Natsu, Gajeel, Wendy, and Lucy were breathing heavily as their battle ended. Ryuu laid on the dirt, looking up at the trees that covered up the sky, only few light passed through, and it just so happens that one of the rays shined down on him. He clearly remembers the first day he stepped on this land, in this forest. They were in their fifth year of searching for Lady Dracul, and he was actually in the verge of giving up. 

"You guys find a place we can stay at, I'll do some canvassing." The white-haired man ordered cheerfully to his guild mates as he went off to look around. He's more cheerful after Dracul had left him; his friends played a big part on his recovery the same as how he played a part on theirs. Still, deep inside, he missed Lady Dracul; he wondered why she left him. 

He always started at the nearby forest. Back then, he looked attentively, making sure he checked every hole, bush, and cave he saw. Now, he was just walking aimlessly. He only snapped out when his whole surrounding just started to darken. He was inside the dark side of the forest.

"Geez, Lady would love this place." he chuckled to himself and looked around. It was too dark for him to even recognize anything with only a few light rays passing through the leaves to lead his way. He stopped in front of the cave that was like a pure abyss inside.

"Get away, human."

But then he heard a voice too good to be true. 

Two orbs of red suddenly appeared from inside of the cage and a roar came out that sounded oh so familiar. It's the same roar that brought him to tears when he was young, and it still did the same now. But back then, he cried because of fear, now he is crying out of accomplishment. The one he has been looking for all this time was finally in front of him. 

The dragon went out of hiding and plunged at Ryuu, but not as an attack, more like an intimidating action – so that he would be sent running. Ryuu did run, but not away, he ran towards her and gave her a big hug!

“I missed you, Lady!” he shouted to the top of his lungs with tears falling from his eyes,

“What? Lady? Why would you—“ Realization only dawned upon her when light reflected in the cave through the puddle. She recognized that white hair anywhere. “Ryuu? How did you find me?!”

“I never stopped looking, Lady! I’m so happy I found you again!”

“My, you’ve grown.” She stated with sentiment, though she still was able to remain composed. She wasn’t like Ryuu who couldn’t control his tears and emotions anymore.

“I did everything you taught me, Lady. You’re the reason I survived. I missed you Lady Dracul, I really did!” It wasn’t normal for a man his size and age to whine like a baby, but he just couldn’t help it. He finally found what he was looking for.

“Oh Ryuu. Please don’t call me that anymore. I go by Chi now.”

His head snapped towards Lady, “What? Why?”

“The name Dracul carries a lot of horrible stories with it. I don’t want to be associated with that name anymore.”

“No Lady, you are kind. You took care of me-“

“I left you alone.”

Ryuu flinched. Yes, she did leave him alone, and he still didn’t understand. “Why did you leave me alone?”

“If I stayed with you, then you’ll be pushed to use your powers for the evil, Ryuu. I was nothing but a bad influence to you. We had to go our separate ways. After that, I never associated myself with a human ever again because I didn’t want the same thing to happen again. I isolated myself inside this forest with the light rarely visiting me. Never, in my entire life, did I expect that you’d find me.”