༅ XII ༅

Christmas day came so much faster than I'd expected.

I wasn't at all prepared to be attacked by my boys at five 5am this time.

Usually, I'd already be up because I was cooking, but since I'd switched up some of the dishes I'd be preparing this year, my sleep time between them also ended up changing.

I'd only been asleep about an hour when they ransacked my room, me being the ultimate prize.

Huey put my favorite slides on the floor as Riley snatched my comforter. They both worked to pull me out of bed and drag me to the den.

I yawned as I sat down on the couch, "So nobody thought to make me some coffee?"

The boys looked at each other then at me and spoke in sync, "We don't know how."

I glared at them. "Lie again."

Huey sighed and got up to go to the kitchen, clearly upset that he had to leave his presents.

I grabbed his arm, "Aht. You can get my coffee after you finish opening your gifts."

He gave me a small smile, the most I usually got out of him, as he went back to the tree.

They found all their gifts and pulled them from the tree, leaving the ones that weren't for them, then looked at me.

I giggled, "Ready?" They both nodded impatiently. "Go!"

They instantly started to tear through the paper to see what they'd gotten

They instantly started to tear through the paper to see what they'd gotten. They were both thrilled to see Huey's remote controlled helicopter and even more so when they found out Riley had a race track with two remote controlled cars.

They continued through their gifts finding more toys along with shoes, clothes, the matching pajamas they'd be wearing for the day, and a bit of jewelry.

"Okay, bring me those before y'all mess them up or lose them," I said, the moment they opened their new chains. They brought them to me then hugged me tightly.

"Thanks, momma," they both said.

I kissed their heads, "You're welcome. Go clean up that wrapping paper, I'll be right back."

They followed instructions as I went to put their chains in their rooms, check on the cake in the oven, and make myself a cup of coffee.

I went back to the den to sit with the boys, and Riley instantly came to me. Already knowing what he wanted, I lowered my mug. "It's hot, baby. Be careful," I warned.

He nodded, holding the top of the cup and my wrist as he slowly tilted it to drink the coffee.

He took a small sip before pushing it away. I watched contentedly as they played with their new toys then sighed softly as I got up.