one

.
  .
     .
.
▸ one
       .
.
   .
    first person

I walk through the front door, greeted with the warmth of the inside. The bar is one of our old favorites, Lucy's, an old mom and pop with an old 60s feel to it, it was never too busy. I loved the quiet nights we used to spend here, so much that I had only seen the place in passing since the night of our breakup.

I look at the bar and there he is, Chris Evans, the only man I ever loved. I slip out of my jacket and put it over my arm as I walk towards him. My heels clicking below me as I make my way closer to him. His head looks in my direction quickly and he stood up with a smile, the look of surprise on his face was delectable. He broke my heart after I gave all of myself to our relationship, I loved him with all I had. I always considered him the one that got away, but as I walked towards him, something was different, I was just the one he let go and lost. The confidence flowed through me as I locked eyes with the man that just let me down. 

"Ophelia," he leaned in with open arms and pulled me into a hug, I reluctantly wrapped my arms around him.
"Hi Chris," I say as I pull away and sit down.

"Whiskey, neat. On a loop please," I put a 100 on the bar and smirk at the bartender. I look over at Chris, he is bigger than last I saw him, his face filled with scruff that absolutely suited him and his hair was longer. I admired the way his grey shirt hugged his chest, which is also much broader.

"How have you been, O?" He caught my gaze with those insane ocean eyes, and although I can't look away, they don't hold me captive as they used to.

"I have been good, got cast in a marvel movie actually, totally bizarre." I joked as my drink was set in front of me, he let out that airy Chris laugh. Making a smile spread across my lips, "how are you Chris?" I smile at him, he seemed different; I guess three years is a long time.

He was studying my face, his brow lacing together slightly, "I have been good, really good. Marvel turned out to be the best thing that happened to me."
I laughed involuntarily, those drinks I had with Charli before leaving suddenly sneaking up on me, thank goodness. "Sorry, nervous laughing, you know how it goes."

I run my hands through my hair trying to get my nerves together. Looking anywhere but his eyes, I take in the old familiar place we spent countless hours years ago. Suddenly feeling a small ache of losing him, my best friend, three years ago. He didn't know just how badly I needed him after that night.

"Chris, you left me while you were shooting a Marvel movie. Can we not do this?"

He straightened in his seat before I continued. The feeling of anger and hurt bubbling over as the alcohol calmed every self doubt I had before seeing him, "you fucked me over. You broke my heart, I honestly don't want to do small talk. Three years, we were together for so long and just like that," I snapped my fingers as I shake my head. I put my hand in a fist as I used it to prop my head on my elbows leaning on the bar while I stared at him. I enjoyed watching the nerves flood in, his realization that his charm won't work for me, not like it used to.

"Ophelia, I'm sorry. I had no idea who I was then, I was learning how to maneuver life at that magnitude of fame." His voice was pleading but his words were harsh.

I felt a sadness rush over me as he spoke, "and you couldn't do that with me?"

I tossed back my drink and locked eyes with the bartender as Chris took in an audible breath.
"I guess I wasn't really thinking about the future when I made those decisions."

The bartender sets my drink down and I toss it back again with a broken smile at the blonde man behind the bar smiles at me as he fetched the bottle.
"Chris, here we are, in the future. Three years later, I am in a movie beside you, funny how shit works out." The bartender sets another drink down and I stand up as I grab it. He pleads, "I wish it wasn't like this, I don't know how to do this," his voice was so sad, guilty even.

When I walk away, I watch Chris' face fall I can't help but smile as I waltz over to the jukebox and look over the music

I turn to look at him, "dance with me then." He stands quickly and takes a few large strides towards me before he wraps his arms around me. I hate how his arms still feel so comfortable.

Silence fell over us as we started to sway. "So, your independent films were quite good," he breaks the tension.

"You watched them?" I smile up at him. "Of course I did. I honestly didn't miss a piece of your work. Sebastian and I made a point to watch every one when they came out."

I looked up at him, into those eyes I used to swim in everyday, "how did you know when a new one would come out?"
He smiled and let out a small chuckle, "I still follow your dad." I smile at the thought of them watching movies I was in after my dad tweeted about them.

"So, Chris. Tell me more about what life looks like. Three years later." I smiled as he did. He opened up about his friends and how his costars for these movies are amazing and he is excited for me to meet them.

"Sebastian was so excited when he heard you were cast, he tried to come with me today." I laughed, losing Sebastian was the hardest part of our breakup, I considered him a good friend, maybe even a best friend, until Chris did the tango on my heart and they left me in their rearviews.

"Ophelia?" He looked down at me as he had one hand on the small of my back as he led my towards a table and the bartender brought us both drinks.

"Yes?" I felt the nerves flooding in, I look at him and I feel that internal conflict I hate. He was my only love but he let me feel that pain. Pain no one else ever has. It took me over a year to move forward, stronger and better than ever.

"I never met someone after you, no one like you," I avoided his stare.
"Don't Chris, we aren't having that conversation." I looked at my watch, and tossed back my drink before standing and walking to the bartender.

"One more and then let me know my total?" He handed me one more glass of dark liquid courage as he handed me my check.

Chris leaned on the bar next to me, "I'm sorry. It is the truth though, and I know I made a mistake three years ago."
I put a hand on his, "Chris, that isn't happening. Not after the pain you put me through, let's work towards friends maybe first." I handed the bartender another $20 with a smirk as I pull Chris into a hug.

"I'll see you on set in a couple weeks, Evans." He gave me a broken smile as I left through the front door, a confident smile across my lips as I disappear into the night.