Chapter 2

She had never seen Barry this serious or so broken about anything, and it got to her. She felt almost nauseous, but she put it aside and focused on the scarlet speedster. He didn't talk much, but that was fine. She was there for him, and anything he needed to say she would listen to.

Eventually, crime decided to make itself known again and Barry put his focus on that instead of the horrors he had just witnessed, taking down a group of robbers with the girl of steel. Kara thought back to what he had told her, about the Monitor sending him to prepare for the crisis, so she offered him to stay at her place. "Kara I can't, I don't want to impose."

"Trust me Barry, I need the company. We could watch musicals and eat an obscene amount of donuts, its fine." She assured him, and after a few more assurances from Kara throughout a period of crimefighting, Barry reluctantly agreed. While he headed to her apartment to settle in, Kara took to the skies.

Looking up into the vast expansion of blue sky, Kara launched into the air, the sound-barrier shattering as she flew farther and faster. She doesn't stop until she's broken the atmosphere, floating contentedly just outside the edge of the atmosphere. She smiled as she looked down at Earth.

She turned and took off towards the moon, her cape aimlessly floating as she slowed down and waved at the astronauts inside the space station, with the amount of alien beings and superheroes who can fly and survive in space, seeing someone flying by is not as shocking as once was.

She took a moment and just let all her worries melt away the best she could. She tried to forget that Lena hated her, that there was an evil organization named leviathan akin to that of a James bond movie, that yet another crisis was being thrown at her, that Barry Allen was going to...

It didn't work though. Her head was filled to the brim with her problems, her body was just filled with a tiredness that ate away at her being every second of every day. Finally, she turned and bolted back down the Earth. She soared past canyons and oceans and cities until she arrived in National City and entered her apartment through the window. She was glad she could move as fast as she could, or she would have to explain to the apartment owner why Supergirl regularly visited her apartment.

Kara grabbed a horde of blankets from the closet in her bedroom and threw them astray all over the couch, positioning to make them adhere to their most comfortable forms. She turned on her tv and set it to some random channel she would change later before she ventured into her kitchen and shoveled a horde of snacks into her arms. She let them fall from her arms and onto the coffee table like an avalanche before she went back and grabbed the leftover potstickers she had in the fridge. As she reheated them, she grabbed the bags of various stuff she had bought on the way here and walked down the hall of her apartment and stopped at the guest room door. "Barry?"

She heard him weekly say come in, so she gently pushed open the already slight ajar door and stepped into the room. Barry was on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. There are a few moments of silence as Kara stands in the doorway. "Do you ever just...." Barry let's let's out a deep sigh. "Think about the future? about what comes next? The next bad guy, the next hardship, the next loved one gone too soon, the next traumatic memory..."

Kara eyes falter for a moment, a deep breath following. She looks over Barry, who is staring at the ceiling, watching the fan spin around absentmindedly. She doesn't know what to say. She's had those thoughts, she's sure anyone who wears a suit and tries to do what is right has to deal with them, but they also have to see the light, the good, the bright side. Her eyes flickered over Barry once more, and she's reminded these are the words of a man who just found out his death was the key to the multiverses survival.

She swallows the lump in her throat and lays down next to Barry, taking his hand into hers. Barry tenses up, but as Kara lays her head on his chest and she gently squeezes his hand, Barry feels a sense of calmness, comfort and wholeness wash over him.

"I know things are hard, I can't imagine what its like to see your own death, but I do know death. I lost my entire planet when I was a little girl, and I carry that with me everyday, and it doesn't get easier unless you have someone to carry that pain with." Barry listened intently, everything around him besides Kara becoming obsolete. "Barry when I met you, you understood me more than anybody I knew, and you still do. You understand pain and loss, and how hard it is to be a hero and live a double life, you became my best friend! Seeing you like this, its heartbreaking, but I want you to know we are not giving up." She sat up and looked at him intently. "Just because some asshole with mutton chops said it was your 'destiny' to die, doesn't mean its true. You more than anyone should now the future isn't set in stone! We will fight with all it takes, and we will be ready when this crisis comes."

Barry couldn't help the smile that came across his face. "You are incredible Kara Zor-El." He said, and Kara smiled, a blush filling her cheeks.

"Alright, I got you some things, I figured if you are going to be staying here you need to be comfortable. " Kara said, getting off the bed and dramatically gesturing to the bags on the floor.

Barry sat up and looked at Kara, guilt washing over him. "Kara, it's enough that you even let me stay here, I can't ask you to- "

"You didn't. My treat." Kara smiled. "Now, get a shower, try on these clothes, and how does a movie night sound?"

"Perfect." Barry smiled widely.