Chapter 22

Dozens of men worked in tandem with each other, devoted to making sure they got this work done on time and could at least relax for a bit without having to put any overtime in like they had the entire rest of the week, but fate seemed to hold other plans for them. The soldiers stilled as a figure levitated overhead, the light from the sun forming a halo around their form. "Supergirl?" A man muttered in disbelief.

Her eyes illuminated, and a stream of heat vision cut down several men, sending the others running in different directions. Some went for cover, others to weapons they knew deep down would do nothing against the Kryptonian, but prayed somehow would protect them, but it was pointless nonetheless. Red Daughter descended, boots echoing in the deafening silence with evert footstep she took.

She could hear their every move, their panicked breaths and labored breathing, the scuffle of their feet on the concrete, and she felt nauseous. She stopped walking, trying to ignore the charred bodies that lay around her with fear frozen on their faces. She should be proud, these were dangerous people right? They were making weapons that could destroy an entire continent on impact, right? That's what Red death had told her, and he was a good person, he wanted to help.

Then she hears it, that sudden flash of lightning and whoosh of air, and she holds her breath as she turns to meet his gaze, but he isn't looking at her, he's rifling through crates in search of something. After a few moments he stops and turns, flashing across the facility before returning with a man. He shoved him down on his knee, hand tightly clasping his throat. "Where is it?" The aberration growled, tightening his grip on the mans throat. "Your top secret weapon, Argus stores it here. Where. Is. It." He voice grew deeper as his eyes illuminated a brought crimson red.

"I don't know, I swear." The man pleaded. "Please!" Red Death loosened his grip on the man and took a step back, sucking in a sharp breath. The atmosphere was tense, yet silent, only broken by the heavy panting of the soldier as he tried to catch his breath. The man peered up as he heard some grotesque noises, watching in horror as the man in red before him morphed into a horrific beast and his arm into an axe, all made of blood and intestines.

Red Daughter had to turn away as Red Death lurched towards the man, but her ears were still filled with the horrid sounds of blood curdling screams and flesh tearing, the sound of blood splattering across the ground coupled with everything caused her to jut forward and vomit. She's shaking, her eyes watering, and she loathes the burning in her throat. She stumbles to the ground, not daring to look over at the massacre beside her.

She sucks in a sharp breath as Red Death steps in front of her, and she is so relieved he is back in his human form, but she doesn't dare look up at him. "I'm sorry." He whispered, kneeling down to her. "I didn't mean to scare you." He said, and he sounded genuine as he spoke, but she still hadn't looked at him. "Flash and Supergirl are dangerous, and I'm trying to find a way to stop them, and sometimes that means having to get my hands dirty." She moved his hand under her chin and slowly rose it. "I'm sorry." She felt nauseous, but she forced a smile, trying to hold back another steam of vomit as he ran his hand along her cheek.

Was this the right thing? She wasn't so sure anymore.

...

Barry stepped into the apartment, ears immediately met with the sounds of the news echoing out across the living space, and he let out a sigh as he realized Kara was watching what the world was saying about her again. He moved forward, past Kara and turned the television off, finally breaking Kara out of her trance. "Do you hear what they're saying?" She asked, almost mortified.

"It doesn't matter what their saying, because it's not true." Barry spoke softly, taking a knee so he was eye level with her. "You are Supergirl, you are a hero, you are Kara Danvers. Or Kara Zor-El, which is your alien name. Which is cool." He said, reciting what he said after their goodbye when they first met, and Kara couldn't help but smile at the comforting memory.

"Barry, I don't know how I'm going to fix this." She said, and he was silent for a moment.

"Show them who you really are." He said. "Kara Danvers, you are my hero, and so many more's, all you need to do, is continue being who you are." He intertwined his fingers with hers.

"Do you think your aberration has anything to do with this?" She inquired, and Barry let out a deep sigh.

"I don't know, he's been silent." Barry said. "But if he is, we'll beat them together."

"You know, maybe we should've shared the paragon of hope moniker." Kara joked, and Barry chuckled softly. Barry gazed at her as her blonde locks dangled, covering most of her features from sight. She tucks a lock of hair behind her hair as she realizes Barry's been staring at her, but hasn't said anything. "What?"

"You're it for me too." He said softly, and she ducked her gaze from his, a blush creeping up on her cheeks as she remembers their date from the other day. He sees the doubt- the insecurity-that flashes in her eyes at his words. "I mean it. Always. I love you." Kara wrapped her arms around his neck and placing a searing kiss on his lips.

"I love you, Barry Allen."