Chapter 3

Alex Danvers circled Barry and Kara, taking a drink from her bottle as they each caught their breaths. "I don't know, I don't think you or Barry could lay a hand on me without your powers." Alex smirked smugly, setting her water bottle down. Kara and Barry looked at each other with amused eyes, then back at Alex. "I'm sorry, but I think you two need your powers to do all the hard work. You can try and prove me wrong if you want." She smirked mischievously.

"Oh you're on Danvers!" Barry said. He and Kara readied themselves, and so began another round of training. Alex had to admit, she was surprised Barry knew some moves outside of his speed, and Kara had obviously gotten trained by her on defending herself if she ever was without super abilities so there was no surprise there, but the two together were a very great team, and had managed to knock Alex down to the mat, and now wore smug smirks of their own as they kneeled over him.

"Alright, you got me." Alex said, putting her hands up in defeat.

"Where'd you learn those moves Barry?" Kara asked as Barry wiped the small amount sweat off of himself. He suddenly became very quiet as he set the towel down, eyes locked on the floor of the training room.

"I had a lot of free time after me and Iris got divorced, and crime surprisingly isn't a twenty four hour thing, so I used the free time I had away from my jobs to teach myself how to fight outside my powers, god knows I lose my speed way too regularly." He spoke with a forced smile before taking a drink out of his water bottle.

Alex offered a worried glance towards Kara, whose eyes were locked on the man. "Alright, I got to get to work. The Director of the DEO can't train the day away, much as I'd like to." She smiled. "See ya later Barry, take care!" Barry waved her off with a genuine smile.

Alex went to the locker room and changed back into her uniform, all the while thinking about Barry and Kara. It was obvious the two cared for each beyond friendship, as much as either would no doubt deny. As she walked past the gym, she caught sight of the two simply talking with each other. The conversation seemed to be a light one, full of smiles, laughs, and blushes. Alex finds herself stopping and watching the two with a smile.

She remembers what Kara had told her about Barry, and her smile lessens a bit. She wasn't inclined to believe some cosmic douche, especially after all the odds they had beaten before. As Alex looks on, she's reminded of a day she'll always remember, Barry's wedding day. There are a myriad of reasons for that, and number one surprisingly wasn't the fact that Nazi's had crashed the wedding, it was what happened before.

Kara sang at Barry and Iris wedding beautifully, and Alex watched with a proud smile, but also jealous of how great a voice her sister had. Moments before that though, Alex had been searching for the Kryptonian, needing to tell her it was her time to sing when she found an unexpected sight.

"Kara?" Alex spoke up with worry, rushing forward to comfort the woman. She was crying, eyes red. Her short yet stunning dress wrinkled and makeup ruined, staining her cheeks alongside her tears. "Kara what's wrong?"

She torn apart on what to do. She loved Barry, and she wanted nothing more than to tell him that, but she wasn't going to ruin his big day, the moment he had always been looking forward too, and Alex remembers that moment so vividly. It was clear that Kara had never moved on, gotten over him, and Alex could see why.

The two were absolutely perfect for each other, and all they needed to do was take that extra step, but she understood how hard that could be, especially with someone who understood you on a fundamental level. Whatever it took though, Alex was determined to get those two together, but for now duty called.

A few hours later, Barry grabbed a bottle and a glass, taking a seat in the break room of the DEO. He poured the drink and swished it around, watching as the ice cubes clinked against the glass, his mind wondering to the darkness depths as it often did when he was alone.

He was going to die in a few weeks, just before Christmas, what a wonderful time of year. He didn't even know if he was going to get the chance to say goodbye to all the people he cared about, just that he would be in the fight of his life, and that his death would supposedly save everyone in the multiverse.

He thinks about his life, about the man he has become, about all the mistakes he made and all the people he let down, about the woman he wrongfully married. He wishes he could take it all back, fix everything before he left.

It takes a few more callings from Alex before Barry realizes she's standing next to him, and he looks up at her. "Are you okay?" Alex questioned with worry. He thinks about the question intently. He had asked himself this a lot, and every time it seemed to be the same bland answer: yes. But that wasn't true, he had bullshitted himself long enough.

"No." He answered, and Alex takes a seat across from him. "Alex, I'm gonna die in a few weeks, and I don't know what to do with myself. If I sit down for a single moment I feel like I'm wasting the time I have left, the only time I feel sane and able to forget I'm about to die is..."

"With Kara." Alex finished as she realizes he wasn't going to say it himself. He looked up at her, and she nodded, confirming she knew their feelings. "I've seen how you act around her, you love her don't you?" Alex smiled softly. "Tell her, trust me she's crazy about you too." She said, and Barry scoffed. "I'm serious, are you that oblivious?"

"Alright, I'm in love with her. That's why me and Iris got divorced, I've felt this way for years, but I can't tell her Alex. She's been through too much already, and if I tell her now just to die in a few weeks that'll be torture to her." He said in defeat, the tears trickling down his cheeks.

"You speak in absolutes, but you don't know that Barry! The future isn't written, its malleable. Things can change at any moment." Alex said and Barry rose his gaze to look at her as she stood up. She took his drink and downed it, eliciting a look of disbelief on the scarlet speedsters face. That look morphed into one of thought as he stared at the empty glass, thinking over her words.