Chapter 16

Barry closed the file on his desk, letting out a sigh as he leaned back in his chair. He ran his hands over his face, stopping as he released a heavy breath into them. He dropped his hands into his lap as he stared at the ceiling. eyes feeling heavy from the long week he had. He broke his stare at the ceiling as he heard footsteps, lowering his head to watch as Joe and Eddie Thawne walked towards him. "Hey Barr, long day?" The detective spoke, and Barry let out a short breathy laugh. "Well, we just wanting to tell you we're having a family dinner tonight, do you think you could come over?" Barry's breathing picked up as he watched blood drip form the bullet hole in Eddie's chest, his face becoming hot as he seemed to lose his breath. "Barry?" The speedster broke free of his chance, taking slow breaths as he saw Eddie was okay, and that there was no blood, and no wound. "You okay?"  

Barry nodded fervently. "Yeah, yes. Like you said, its been a long day." He said, though Joe knew all too well something else was troubling him, and he'd have to talk to him. "And uh, yeah, I'll be there." 

"Great." Joe smiled. "Hey, and uh maybe you can bring whoever this mystery girl I've seen you talking on the phone with is." Joe smirked mischievously and Barry shook his head as he chuckled.

"Mystery girl?" Eddie quirked his eyebrow.

"There is no girl." Barry tried to lie, though he knew they both saw through it. 

"Look, I'm happy you find someone, and I don't want to pressure you into anything. I'd love to meet her, but If your not comfortable bringing her, that's fine. For the past few weeks I've barely seen you, you've been throwing yourself into cases and The Flash and I just want to spend more time with you, okay?" Joe said and Barry nodded along with the mans words. Joe knew Barry was still adjusting to this new world, though it seemed to be taking much more of a toll on the scarlet speedster than he or a lot of others that knew of the previous timeline. 

As Barry opened his mouth to speak, his phone began to ring. He pulled the device from his pocket and answered it, Eddie and Joe watching the man as his features shifted from neutral to concerned until he slipped the phone back into his pocket. "There's a meta attack downtown." Barry announced and he was gone in an instant.

Barry came to a halt, his lightning bathing the dim area in light. He froze, eyes widening as he stares at Leonard Snart. He was frozen, unable to move as yet another person who had died was alive before his eyes. His moment of shock was broken as he was hit by a stream of ice, knocking him back against the wall.

He quickly began to vibrate, shattering the ice and falling to the floor heaving and shaking from the freezing temperatures. He looked up as Snart took long strides towards him, and Barry took note of the absence of a cold gun. "Long time no see, Flash!" He quickly dodged as Snart threw his hands out, two streams of ice shooting from his palms and converging on the scarlet speedster.

"Snart, why are you doing this?!" Barry let out, rising to his feet. Snart didn't answer, instead extending his arm and sending a slew of icicles. Barry dodged them all and ran towards Snart, who let out a scream as he fired another stream of icicles.

Barry slipped into flashtime, stepping towards the now-metahuman Leonard Snart with a very perplexed expression. He pushed the icicles out of the way, letting out a deep breath as he stared at the man, taking in the pure hatred on his face, a hatred he recognized. He held that same hate for Thawne for taking his mother from him.

He threw out a fist, striking Snart right between the eyes. He slipped out of flashtime, watching as the man fell to the ground, unconscious. He turns to the door as it bursts open and officers file in, followed closely by Eddie and Joe. "Fasten one yet." Eddie smirked, patting Barry on the shoulder.