Chapter 28

The Scarlet Speedster continued to stare at the aberration who was sitting comfortably in the pipeline cell, whistling a tune, and Barry's jaw was clenched, face hot and eyes dark as he stared at the man. "Even The Flash can't outrun the tragedies the universe is gonna keep sending your way. You have to accept that, and then you can truly run free..." The aberration spoke, reciting what the speedforce had told them years ago. "Go ahead, take a seat Barr."

Barry lowered himself onto the floor, bringing his knees close to his chest as he stared at the speedster intently. "I told you I would stop you, and here we are. None of your little games worked, you failed."

He simply let out a scornful laugh, coughing as it came to its end. "Wow, I really was naive." He muttered to himself. "Barry, maybe you're still in my 'little game'. Have you thought about that?" Barry's face turned to one of uncertainty as he tried to gauge his doppleganger's seriousness. "You don't understand what I've gone through. I remember everything we ever did. I remember seeing Kara for the first time. I remember falling for her, but denying it because the future article said I was destined to be with Iris. I remember the divorce, all because of the girl of steel. We share the same memories! Now, I'm forced to know that you get to wake up to her every morning. You get to hold her in your arms and tell her that you love her! You don't even realize how lucky you are." He scoffed in disgust.

"Do you think I don't think about that every time I'm with her? I am the luckiest man in the multiverse!" Barry said, the tears beginning to roll down his cheeks. "I'm sorry for what you went through, but we're different people now, and you've become the villain, you're no better than Thawne was!"

The aberration sat solemnly for a moment. "Once there was a little dinosaur called a Maiasaur, who lived with his mother." He began to read The Runaway Dinosaur, their favorite book as a child. "One day, he told his mother, 'I wish I were special like the other dinosaurs. If I were a T.Rex, I could chomp with my ferocious teeth!' 'But if you were a T.Rex,' said her mother, how would you hug me with your tiny little arms? 'I wish I were an Apatosaurus' said the little dinosaur. 'so with my long neck I could see above the treetops' 'But if you were an Apatosaurus, said her mother, how would you hear me in the treetops when I told you I love you?What makes you so special, little Maiasaur? said her mother. 'Is it your ferocious teeth or long neck or pointy beak? What makes you special is out of all the different dinosaurs in the big, wide world, you have the mother who is just right for you, and will always..."

"Love you." The two finished the final line together, quoting their mother when she used to read them The Runaway Dinosaur. "I wish it could go back to being that simple, but it's too late Barry. You said it yourself, I'm the villain."

The Scarlet Speedster's head fell for a moment, before he rose to feet and closed the pipeline, and made his way up to the cortex to clear his mind. Once he arrived he slid into one of the chairs and placed his head in his hands, letting out a tired sigh. He looked up, recognizing the look of worry plaguing Kara's face. "I'm okay." He assured her with a smile, placing a comforting hand on hers. "I love you." He gave her hand a gentle squeeze, to which she returned.

"I love you too Barry."

Barry turned to look at Lena. "So, how was your space expedition?" He inquired, and she let out a soft chuckle, almost instinctively fidgeting with her lantern ring.

"It was interesting to say the least." Lena spoke. "I am so out of my element in this whole thing, and although it was cool getting to travel space and train with other lanterns, I really missed you guys."

"We're glad you're back." Kara said. Barry stood, and the trio engulfed each other in a tight hug that was cut short as Cisco came barreling into the cortex.