Chapter 21

Kara smiled as she watched Barry work diligently in his lab. He scribbles little notes to remind himself of certain things, he uses his powers to speed up the process, and he is very concentrated on his work. Barry turns around and spots her, the easy smile she loves appears on his face. "What are you doing here?" He asks, the joyous tone in his voice let's her know he enjoys her visit.

"I took my lunch break, and I wanted to come see you." She smiled widely, and Barry returned with a beaming smile. While that was true, she had inclined to leave out that she had been on edge the entire day, mind constantly running a thousand miles a minute. Every news station was running the same story: Supergirl against the world! She couldn't focus on anything but the fact that the entire world had turned on her practically overnight. She needed to do something to get her mind off of it, so she came here.

Barry stood up from his desk and walked over to Kara, placing a gentle kiss against her lips. The kiss turned heated quickly, the two forgetting where they were until Joe cleared his throat rather loudly and the two frantically separated. The man wore a big smile as he looked between the two, but Barry and Kara were flush with embarrassment. Barry sheepishly scratched the back of his neck, waiting for Joe to say anything.

"I was just coming to see if you have the files I asked for." Joe and Barry nodded fervently, flashing over to his desk and back in a second, holding the folder in his hand. He looked between the two once more, letting out a small chuckle. "Maybe you should take your lunch break now."

"Yeah. Yep." Barry said, tight-lipped. "Let's go." He whispered as he leaned over to Kara. With a flash of lightning, he and Kara were gone. Barry came to a halt, gently setting Kara down on the ground, deciding to walk for a little while, enjoying some peace and quiet while it lasted, which wouldn't be very long. Some idiot would attempt a robbery or a meta would make themselves known, something would come along to disrupt a good day.

But for now, Barry and Kara held hands as they walked into the restaurant, taking a seat in a booth and scanning the menus. As Kara's eyes moved back and forth along the printed text, her peripheral vision caught sight of the man before her, staring at her. "What?" She asked suddenly, setting down the menu. He let out a soft hmm, breaking out of his trance. "You were staring at me." Kara smiled at him, and Barry dropped his gaze.

"Sorry, it's just been a while since our last date, and I wanted to enjoy every part of it, including you. We don't get much time like this due to..." Barry trailed off as an elderly man walked past. He waited until the man exited the building before continuing. "Us being superheroes." He let out a sigh and Kara reached across the table, taking his hand in hers and gently running her fingers along his knuckles.

"I understand, but let's make sure the time we do spend together is more than just time off, let's make it special." She spoke softly, and Barry peered around them, taking in their surroundings. The restaurant was bustling, the workers clearly short-staffed, and the conversations boisterously spoken. He finished his scan of the restaurant before returning his gaze to her, a small smile appearing. "What?"

"Let's get out of here." Barry got up from his seat, holding his hand out. Kara took it, and the two exited the establishment.

"Where are we going?" Kara pondered, and after a brief look around, Barry hoisted her up into his arms and sped away. When the lightning came to a halt and the rushing wind stilled, Kara found herself standing in the canyons of National City, alone. She furrowed her eyebrows, but her confusion was erased as she saw another flash of lightning, and Barry stood before her, right in front of a picnic. "Barry..." She let out breathlessly.

"Something special." He smiled, gesturing to the picnic. Kara bit her lip, then surged forward crashing her lips against his passionately. Barry immediately reciprocated, and the two lost themselves in the kiss. Kara had her hands resting against his chest, and as they broke apart, she kept them there for a moment as they caught their breath before clasping onto his shirt and pulling him back in for another kiss. Eventually, they both pulled away and situated themselves on the blanket Barry set down, enjoying the food and mainly the time with each other.

After another twenty minutes, the pair had finished eating and we're simply sitting next to each other, holding hands and looking out at the beautiful landscape. Kara turned to look at Barry, and after a few moments he moved his gaze to hers with a smile. "You're it for me." Kara said softly, and Barry's brows furrowed. "I want to spend the rest of my life with you, Barry." Barry's confusion faded, immediately replaced with a wide smile and watery eyes. He moved forward,  gently cupping her cheek as they pressed their lips against each other.  Kara's phone began to ring, and the two reluctantly pulled apart. She pulled it out and peered down at it, letting out a groan. "My boss is wondering where I am, I'm supposed to turn in an article today." Kara explained, practically pouting at the intrusion of their perfect moment. "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, I should probably get back to the precinct." Barry told her, standing up. He sped around, packing everything up. Kara was more than disappointed. If she could, she would spend every moment with the scarlet speedster, but she knew that was impossible. As Barry finished packing up, Kara snaked her arms around him and rested her head against his back, basking In the comfort he brought.

"We could have a movie night tonight, play board games, cuddle..." She trailed off, peppering a trail of kisses along Barry's jawline. Barry turned, and Kara was still holding onto him. He pressed his lips against hers, smiling into the kiss. "Is that a yes?" Kara whispered as he pulled away. He chuckled softly, nodding. "See you later." She said dejectedly, before flying away. Barry couldn't help the smile on his face as he watched Kara fly across the sky.

As she belted across the sky, her hair flowing and the rush of wind hitting her face feeling utterly fantastic, she was suddenly hit in the face. She flew into a nearby building, glass shattering around her, the metal bending around her frame. She looked up, using her enhanced vision to peer closer at the figure flying ever closer towards her: herself. The person who'd caused all the chaos Kara was blamed for.

Kara moved forward with a fury, grabbing the figure and launching further into the sky before punching her back down to the ground. She flew after her, catching her before she could hit the ground and punching her across the city. Kara followed as the figure skidded across the street, levitating down to face the woman, then she finally took in her appearance. It was Red Daughter.

Kara was frozen as she processed this information. How the hell was she alive? Why was she attacking her? Why was she framing her again? "Why are you doing this?!" Kara shouted as Red Daughter pushed herself up off the ground. The woman narrowed her eyes at Kara, eyes lighting up. "You don't have to do this, you were a good person before! What happened?!"

Red Daughter's heat vision faded, her brows furrowing as she listened to Kara. She spoke in a sense of recognition, like she believed in what she was saying, and it threw her off. The heat in her eyes dissipated as she stared at Kara, and after a few moments she was gone in a blur, a blast of wind shaking everything nearby.

...

Red Daughter stepped forward, coming into view of the man before her, who stood tinkering on some sort of machine that looked entirely too complicated. "Where did you go?" His voice rang out lowly, the sound of him working coming to an abrupt stop, his head craning to the side.

"I confronted Supergirl." She spoke in her Russian accent, and Red Death's head fell as a small chuckle escaped. "She spoke as if she knew me, like what was doing was wrong, it was like-"

"She's lying." He turned swiftly, his blood shot eyes coming into view as he stepped towards her. "You are a good person, and she's trying to use that against you, to turn you against me. But we must stay together to stop her and The Flash, to save the world." He spoke, and she couldn't meet his eyes. "Are you with me?" He inquired, placing his finger under her chin and raising her gaze to his. She looked up him with doe eyes, and she nodded yes, though a shiver ran down her spine as he whispered. "Good."