Chapter 4

Kara stared absentmindedly at the screen, trying to find the string of words that flooded from her mind, only to be erased by the thoughts of Barry Allen that ran rampant. Why couldn't she get this man out of her mind? He was just adorable, smart, goofy, selfless, someone who understood being a hero and what it meant to lose, the man she... she wasn't helping herself.

She let out a frustrated sigh and tapped her nail against her desk, lightly chewing on the other one, trying to force herself to think for just a simple moment. "Hey Kara." Her head shot up to see William flashing her a toothy grin, to which she awkwardly smiled back at.

"Hey." She spoke, hoping he'd leave so she could focus on more important matters like this article and the annoyingly handsome boy staying in her apartment. "I'm sorry William but I'm really busy and If I don't get this article done soon Andrea is going to come for my head."

"I'll be quick." He promised. "I just wanted to ask if you wanted to come with me for drinks tonight at O'shauneys?" William asked, and Kara froze for a moment, using every ounce of her being to not crush the arms of the chair she sat in. William had constantly hit on her, and she could ignore it easily, but now he was asking her out, and she knew he would continue to hit on her and bring her his 'grandmas' recipes until she put an end to this. So what would she do? Lie.

"William, I actually have a boyfriend, I'm sorry." Kara said, thankful that William had no knowledge of the infamous crinkle, but she still was wary, bringing her hand up to 'scratch' her head when in reality she was trying to hide her lie detector.

"Oh, well, that's okay. You could bring him along, and your sister, Nia's coming, it'll be fun and a way to unwind after dealing with Andrea all day." William joked and Kara offered a smile she prayed looked at least a bit normal. "Whatta you say?"

"Sure, I'll be there." She blurted out without thinking, and William smiled, walking off to his desk. Kara practically deflated, any energy she once held for her job drained and focused on the massive lie she had just told. What was the first logical thing to do now? Call Alex. "Alex I need your help!" She whisper-screamed as soon as her sister answered.

"Why, what's wrong?!" Alex was immediately on edge.

"William invited me out to drinks tonight so I lied and said I had a boyfriend, but he still wants me to go and I said yes and I don't know what to do, please help." She rambled very quickly until it came to an abrupt stop.

"Is that it?" Alex said calmly with confusion mixed in.

"Yeah?!"

"Just don't go. Say something came up, a family emergency or something." She offered, and Kara let out a dejected breath.

"Alex, I don't like William, but he's constantly giving me food and hitting on me, and I want it stop, but if I don't show up, or I show up with no boyfriend he's just going to keep hitting on me and pawning after me and-"

"Alright stop whining, I have an idea." Alex said, a mischievous smirk forming. "Take someone you trust, perhaps someone you have feelings for and are obnoxiously bad at hiding and pretending aren't there." She smirked even wider as Kara scolded her on the other line, trying to hold back her laughter. "I'm just saying, it could give you a pseudo idea of a relationship with Barry, maybe satisfy your feelings, take Barry's mind of his problems, rid you of William, and if you two finally get together then that's a happy accident!"

"Alex I don't know." Kara spoke. "I-I'll think about it."

"Look, me and Kelly will come too, offer some support and maybe a little teasing, but mostly support."

"Fine." Kara let out a deep breath, though she couldn't ignore the strange yet wonderful feeling in her stomach at the thought of Barry being her boyfriend, even just her pretend one. "You're evil."