The First Trace

*December 1995 (14 years later) Harry's 5th year*

(Harry's POV)

I decided walking around the school under my cloak with the marauders map would be better than pacing in the common room. We've been trying to figure out a spot to hold DA meetings. It's impossible to find a location that that stupid toad won't easily find. If I'm being honest it's just led to me loathing her a thousand percent more. Having nothing to do but drown in my thoughts at the moment I looked around the map and got curious, why is Dumbledore in Snape's office. Maybe Snape got in trouble! Yeah right, like I'd get that lucky.

The cold breeze that went through the dungeon smacks my face as I'm walking down the steps and snooping to Professor Snape's office. I can overhear them having what seems to be an argument. I quietly and carefully pressed my ear against the glacial door to try to make out their words clearly.

"Severus I know you hate the subject but there's rumors that they are alive and I just want to know if you would want to help Arthur in the search." Ron's dad?

I listened thoroughly and Snape's voice sounded like he was trembling, maybe holding back tears, "Albus, I told you I didn't want to mention them ever again. It's been years since they disappeared, this might be a trap, they must've been killed after that death eater took them."

"You know that is not true nor possible." Snape started to walk towards the door and I quickly fumbled back, tripping on my cloak, falling on my ass.

The door handle started to move so I picked up the map, "Mischief Managed."

"Severus, don't tell me you blame yourself." I took a breath knowing that I was safe but as the door opened I realized my cloak was no longer hiding me. Dumbledore seemed to be chasing after Snape, "Severus stop running from your-"

Snape opened the door and sneered when he saw me, "Mr. Potter, it is rude to listen into other people's conversations. Five points from Gryffindor." Snape quickly walked down the hall and was gone.

"Professor, who were you talking about?"

Dumbledore walked up to me and put his hand on my shoulder sighing deeply, "Nothing that you should worry about Harry. Shouldn't you be in your common room? It's almost past curfew." Dumbledore smiled and I slowly dragged myself to the Gryffindor common room without further questions.

Hermione and Ron were curled up on the couch in front of the warm mellow fire, probably trying to come up with a solution for the DA. Knowing that could wait I lazily hopped over the couch squeezing between the two of them.

Hermione sighed as she crossed her arms, "Now what have you found out? By the look on our face it's more important than the DA."

I hesitated for a moment, I completely forgot about that issue, "It has nothing to do with finding the perfect hiding spot. I just overheard Snape and Dumbledore talking about someone who has been missing for who knows how long. Apparently they have finally found a trail nearby and Ron, your dad is on the case. We need to find out more!"

Ron scrunched his face, "My dad? He's not an auror Harry. Also he would tell the whole family if he was working on something that big."

"No Ron, not like a case from the ministry but by Dumbledore. This person also seemed really important to Snape. That's why we need to learn more! Apparently there's someone out there who likes that greasy jerk."

Hermione stood up, "Harry this whole thing sounds personal, just go to bed and sleep off this idea of yours."

Ron nodded in agreement as he yawned, "Yeah and besides I think we've already had enough adventure to last us a lifetime. Why would we add on another that has nothing to do with us." I looked at my hands trying hard to get the subject off my mind, not possible. If Ron's dad is helping the search then this person must've been important... I slowly sighed realizing they were right, it's not my problem. Slowly I went up the stairs to bed so I could just sleep the matter off.