24

..

13 years old

"Soma, don't be such a dickhead. If you're not going to sit next to me or talk at all, watch the movie at least!" I groan and roll my eyes and Soma still has a stoic expression on.

I invited him to watch one of my favorite American movies and he won't even say a word to me.

"Why do I have to watch this? You didn't tell me it was a romance movie." I smiled to myself a little. I guess I did forget to mention that part.

"So what, it's a romance movie? You agreed to watch it so you can't break that promise." I move a seat closer to him and he looks like he's about to get up so I give him a look that makes him stay in place. "Pay attention. This is my favorite scene."

"Okay, whatever." he rolls his eyes this time.

The main boy in the movie notices the main girl shivering. They're outside of her house in her super-nice backyard. He moves closer and takes off his jacket.

He wraps it around her and I smile at the screen. They share a kiss. I let out an "aw" and Soma coughs dramatically. I look at him in concern.

"What's the matter with you?"

"This movie sucks. This scene sucks. If it was cold, why couldn't she just get her own jacket? Why'd he have to spare his own warmth for the sake of hers? And why couldn't they just go inside?"

I almost laugh but instead, I just look down and smile. I look back at him squinting and he still looks unimpressed. "What. I'm serious."

"Well, I don't know about you but I think someone giving me their jacket when I'm cold seems like a nice gesture." I shrug.

"But hey, that's just in the movies. In real life, I'll always have a jacket because what rational person goes out into the cold without one?"

"Right."

"Anyway, keep watching. My second favorite part is about to come up."
..

"The winner is Kurokiba Ryo!"

My face and body drop as I hear those words exit Urara's mouth. Megumi lost against Ryo, the cherry-eyed Nakiri's bodyguard.

I sigh looking at the other members of Polar Star and looking at Soma last. We're all disappointed.

"That concludes today's cooking. The third and fourth battles will be held tomorrow. Please take care on your way out."

"What do you say we go see Tadokoro?" Soma asks.

"Yeah." Ryoko answers. I nod, agreeing. I notice Yuki has already left to go see Megumi. I follow after her. They're on the floor, hugging each other. I smile and walk over to join them.