4

....

"We will present the new students with their class badge. Incoming valedictorian, Nakiri Erina."

"Here."

She walked onto the stage with a bright smile. The audience complimented her beauty and being at the top of her class. She walked off the stage, soaking in all of the compliments.

"We now welcome our keynote speaker: the director of Totsuki Academy, Nakiri Senzaemon-sama." The whole audience gasped.

"Greetings." he said silencing the crowd, "Congratulation on your advancement to the high school division. During your three years in the junior high school division, you have obtained a basic skill set in cooking, and deepened your understanding of each ingredient."

"In addition to the cooking practicum, you attended classroom lectures on a variety of topics, including culinary theory, nutrition, public health, introductory agronomics, and management. Now you're finally standing at the entrance to the high school division."

"The challenges you'll now face are not about your skills or knowledge, but whether you have the wherewithal to survive as a food professional. 99 percent of you are meant to be sacrificed for honing the remaining 1 percent!"

The audience gasped again for about the fifth time. "Of the 812 students who entered our high school division last year, only 76 advanced to the second year! Incompetence and mediocrity will be mercilessly excised from our student body."

" A thousand first-years will be whittled down to a hundred by next year, and we can count those who'll advance to graduation on one hand. Aspire to be one of the small handful of those professionals! It should be you! Hone yourself!"

The audience stayed silent with a few murmurs.

...

"Finally, we'd like to introduce two transfer students, who'll be joining our ranks today." The announcer said. I let Yukihira say whatever he wanted to say before me.

"Oh, sorry to be talking to y'all from up here." He started, "I'll keep it short and sweet, then. Just a couple of sentences. Uh, I'm Yukihira Soma. To be honest, this academy's just a stepping stone for me! I wasn't expecting to transfer here, but I don't plan on losing to folks who've never actually served customers." He turned to me and I smiled awkwardly. "Go on.," I whispered.

He turned back to the crowd and spoke, "Anyway, what I'm getting at is.. basically, now that I'm here, I'm gonna take the number one spot! Looking forward to being with y'all for the next three years!" 

He walked off from the microphone and I took his spot. I whispered to him, "What was that."

"Just speaking what I think." He winked at me and I rolled my eyes. I cleared my throat, the mic made it sound loud.