12

(Hopefully this chapter makes sense 😭)

..

I watched Megumi walk up to sensei. He looked at her, his expression remaining calm.

"I-I'm Tadakoro Megumi. It's an honor." She said stuttering. He eyed her dish before ultimately trying it.

An anticipating silence entered the room and I just took a deep breath fiddling with my fingers to distract myself. Finally, he began to speak and I looked up immediately.

"Tadakoro Megumi... you're out." Shinomiya evidently said. I felt my stomach drop as I saw Megumi's frightened expression and her shaking hands. No...

He got up from his chair with a groan. "That concludes the challenge. Those of you who passed, prepare for your afternoon challenge."

I froze in place not knowing what I should do to help Megumi in that moment. "But-.." I mumbled, not knowing what to say next. Megumi glanced over at me quickly before taking a step closer to Shinomiya.

"Why? Why was my dish no good?" She asked him.

"Ah, your cauliflower was a little off, so you used wine vinegar when you boiled it, right? Vinegar acts as a bleaching agent, so it preserved the color nicely. The aftertaste of the vinegar accentuated the sweetness of the cauliflower. The vegetables' sweetness and the slight acidity of the vinegar were a perfect match, flavor-wise." He explained.

"So... so then why?" She said hesitantly. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, agreeing with Megumi in my head. Oh! My mouth widened realizing why she didn't pass. She didn't follow the recette correctly.

"Who said you were free to stray from the recette?" He bellowed at her. Her face dropped.

"This menu item is intended to let one enjoy the harmony of the vegetables' sweetness. Was there anything in the recette that said to accentuate acidity? What you made was practically a different dish. If you put out a dish not in accordance with the challenge, then of course you fail. You satisfied now?"

A sick feeling flared up in my stomach as I heard Shinomiya's words. I can't believe this! How can he do this to Megumi?

"I'm not satisfied." I gasped hearing Soma suddenly. I shook myself out of it and nodded agreeing with him.

"Yeah, it was totally out of her control! In fact, I saw some of the produce there turning bad." I said following up with him. I looked over to Soma then back at Shinomiya.

"Throughout these challenges, we're being treated as if we're your employees, right? That being so, the responsibility for inventory control lies at the top, with you, Shinomiya-senpai. In this case, I'd say the fault lies with the chef-" Soma was cut off by Shinomiya's hand crashing onto one of the stations.