26

..

11 years ago

SOMA'S POV

My day started off fine. I knew that dad would be bringing home a girl to live with us. He made me and mom breakfast and left to get her. I don't know how to feel about it. Well, I wouldn't say I'm happy. It had always just been the three of us. Mom, Dad, and me.

To have someone new in our house is just... not what I want. Dad told me that her parents left her to live with her grandpa. Her grandpa was a bad man and basically left her to the streets. Dad found her and arranged everything so she would live with us now.

He left over 3 hours ago and I'm waiting to hear him come in. I know the girl's name is Y/N. I think she's the same age as me. I wonder what she looks like.

A few minutes pass and I hear Dad coming in. Mom grabs me to come. I see the girl looking scared and holding my dad's hand. She doesn't look like what I thought she would look like. I imagined her as rough and harsh looking.

"This is Y/N. She'll live with us from now on. Be nice, Soma."

I analyze her clothes. Her shirt has holes. Her shoes are dirty. I guess her family really did abandon her.

"H-hi." She says as she moves up to me. I have a closer view of her face. I cough, feeling weird at how close she is.

"Hello... Your grandpa abandoned you right?" I say.

She doesn't respond but looks at me with big, wide eyes. Like she's about to cry. Why? I see mom and dad look at me in shock. Did I do something wrong? Mom pulls me away and I gasp.

"Soma, you can't just say that." My mom whispers.

"What?"

"She's sensitive right now and she doesn't need reminding of her situation. Just... be mindful of your words."

"Okay. I will." I huff and look at her. Will she really be living here?

...

Soma's battle against Mimasaka is happening in a few days. In 3 days to be exact. Me, I've been sick so I've been trying to stay away from him so he doesn't catch my cold. And I would be a liar if I said that's not the only reason why I've kept my distance...

I've been avoiding him because of a realization I came to while in Isshiki's garden. I might still like Soma. I'm scared that if I see him I will know what I'm feeling is really what I'm feeling. I'm scared that he might see it on my face.

I don't understand why I am like this. Just when we were at our best, I'm probably going to go and ruin it all with these feelings. But while I've been avoiding him, it's not like he's out of sight out of mind. It's the complete opposite.

The more I haven't seen him the more I think about him. He takes up a huge portion of my brain and I don't know if that's healthy. He's always been up there but now those thoughts are going on a whole rampage.