27

..

Soma hands me the soup he promised to make me. My hand brushes his briefly and I try to not think too much about it. The next Fall Selection battle is between Kurokiba Ryo and Akira Hayama. We've been debating who we think will win between them. I say Hayama and although I think he agrees, he's been saying Kurokiba.

"Does it taste good?" Soma asks, watching me intently.

"I didn't even taste it yet, relax. And of course it will. It's Joichiro's recipe." I take a sip. It smells like a winter day and tastes just like I remember. But I won't give him the credit.

"It's alright. Joichiro makes it better." I smile teasingly at him and he rolls his eyes.

"Whatever.. you should probably take a warm bath tonight. It'll help get rid of your cold."

"Are you trying to suggest that I stink?" I question, pointing my finger at him.

"Of course not." He's the one to smile teasingly at me now and I can't even pretend to be annoyed. "Anyway, if you need anything else, just knock on my door."

He walks away and I take another slurp of my soup. And it hits me. Well, maybe it hit me way before because it was all I could think about during this whole conversation. I like Soma.

No matter how hard I try to manipulate myself into thinking I don't and that it's just old feelings resurfacing, I do. And these feelings have never left me. But I'm in a tough position right now. Soma and I are at the best point in our relationship-friendship that we've ever been. I don't want to have these feelings, but I can't just ignore them.

I just wish everything would work out by itself. He confesses that he likes me too and we get together-- but what happens after that? If we don't work out, we couldn't have the relationship that we have now again. Or I can just say it to him but every single time I tried that before it failed. He never has once liked me back. So my best bet is just waiting for these feelings to fade.

..

I sit next to Megumi and Mito as the battle between Hayama and Kurokiba begins. Hayama and Kurokiba start in conversation and I wish I could hear what they were saying. I start to notice that Soma isn't here. I'm confused. I thought that he would want to see the match because these are two of his biggest rivals.

"Huh? Why is Soma over there with Nakiri-san?" Megumi said and I looked where she was pointing. I see Soma standing next to Nakiri Erina in the VIP room. They're standing so close together. I don't know why but I suddenly feel my eye start to twitch. 

Did she invite him to watch it up there with her? That makes zero sense because she doesn't like Soma at all. Or did he invite himself up there? Did he want to watch it with her? I try to ignore my sudden discomfort as Gin Dojima speaks.

"We now enter the second bout of the semifinals. As with the first round, the theme is a dish showcasing Western food. Contestants... let the cooking begin!"