thirteen

word count: 2.6k

~

Eleanor stood in front of the mirror of the small, ugly, bathroom and re-wrapped her bandages around her waist, listening to Dick lecture everyone about not being as coordinated as they should be. He was always one for a great pep talk, wasn't he?

'Mission critical?' Rachel laughed at Dick's words with a mouth full of pizza.

'Is that a cop thing?' Gar asked whilst holding the pizza box. 'That sounds like a cop thing.'

Dick crossed his arms. 

'I had some combat training when I was younger,' he admitted to everyone. Eleanor paused and watched him through the mirror. They locked eyes but Dick quickly looked away. 

Rachel then looked at Gar and said, 'And he's a cop. So is Eleanor.' Gar looked at Eleanor through the mirror, smiling widely and waving a little. Even as annoyed as she was, Eleanor couldn't help the small smile on her face.

'I'm sorry you were referring to who, as we?' Kory asked as she leaned on the doorway of the bathroom next to Eleanor.

'We, as of right now, are a group of people who share a common enemy,' Dick replied.

'Which makes us what?'

'Let's call it an alliance.' Eleanor rolled her eyes at Dick's avoidance of the word team. 'One born of mutual need.'

'And what is that?' Kory continued to push.

Eleanor pulled her shirt over her head and moved to stand in the doorway next to Kory with her arms crossed. Dick had been kind enough to let her out of his sight to go buy more clothes when they stopped to swap the Porsche for the van. Rachel and Gar went with her and barely gave her any input into what she was to buy. She didn't care, as long as they were clean clothes. 

'To stay alive. We have no idea how long we have until they find us.' The stern tone in Dick's voice is what got Kory to back down.

'You're not gonna get him to crack,' Eleanor murmured to Kory who grunted in reply.

Gar stepped forward in concern. 'You just said they, who is they? What do they want?' He asked through a nervous chuckle.

'We don't know who they are. But they want me,' Rachel told him quietly.

'Because of her...' Dick almost slipped up and said powers, a word Rachel has made clear she dislikes. 'Abilities.'

Kory rested her head on the doorframe behind her. 'They make violence look like an art form,' she said.

'The people that fought us attacked in unison. They were perfectly coordinated. We're not. We can't fight like that unless we learn each other's moves,' he said and gestured to everyone in the room, his look lingering on Eleanor who was watching him curiously. She was still hung up on what he meant by combat training.

Kory grunted once again. 'Inspiring. And how do you suggest we do that?' She asked.

'We stick together, and we train,' he said firmly, pointing his finger at the ground.

Everyone looked at one another carefully until Eleanor sighed loudly and walked out of the room, heading to her room to get changed. She was exhausted. 

'Okay, in order to work together and to fight like a coordinated team, we gotta see what each other can do,' Dick said as he shoved his hands into his pockets.