fifteen

word count: 2.4k

~

'Where the hell are you?' Eleanor asked Dick as she lent on the motel wall, her phone pressed to her ear firmly.

'Chicago,' he replied as if it was no big deal. It was in fact a big deal.

Eleanor scoffed and asked, 'I thought you were coming back here?'

'I was, but then things got a little weird at our friend's apartment.' There was a small pause. 'His name is Dr Adamson, by the way. Doctor of what, I have no idea.'

'Oh let me guess this one, he tried to kill you?' Eleanor looked down the hall at the sight of something moving but relaxed when the person she thought she saw turned out to be the blinds moving in the air of the heater.

'He tried to cook me breakfast actually... His friends tried to kill me.' Dick sounded somewhat amused. 'Six of 'em. I got a feeling there's more where they came from.

Eleanor pouted her lips, impressed with him and his skills, although she wasn't about to tell him and let his ego inflate. 'You took out six assassins by yourself?' She asked.

'Robin's got some skills,' he said, which caused Eleanor to roll her eyes.

She could hear him grunting followed by the sound of the clinging of metal on metal, but when she was about to ask what he was doing, he beat her to it and asked for an update on the family.

'Um... they're all dead,' she muttered and glanced over her shoulder and into the room where Kory and Gar were still cleaning the mess of the remainder of the family.

'Kory,' he growled.

'No! She didn't kill them!' Eleanor jumped to the woman's defence. 'We just walked in, and they were like, dead. Their heads exploded.'

'Hell of a coincidence.' Eleanor rolled her eyes and groaned, knowing that whatever she told him he still believed Kory killed them just because she was told not to. 'Ah fuck,' he groaned quietly.

'Are you okay?' She asked in concern.

'Just dealing with something,' he replied distractedly. 'Look, you guys need to get out here. I'm at eight, eight, eight, North Lakeshore Drive. It's less than an hour. You'll be safe here.'

'Are you sure?'

'It's a safe house. Safe is in the name,' he retorted and Eleanor didn't have to see him to know he was wearing a lopsided grin.

She sighed and murmured, 'We'll be there.'

+

Shutting the car door after Gar had gotten out, Eleanor poked her tongue out at him and fiddled around her pocket for her phone that was buzzing— She was unsure of who would be calling her, but nevertheless, she was always open for a phone call.

Everyone waited at the gate of the house patiently whilst Eleanor answered her phone a short distance away.

'Hello?' She asked with a small frown after reading the unknown caller ID.

'So, you're back in the suit? Well shit, could have let me know so we can handle business as usual.'

Eleanor felt her blood run cold as the voice bounced around her head— it was too cold for her to be comforted by. She knew exactly who it was. 

'How did you get this number?' She asked quietly, moving away from the group even further.

'It wasn't hard. You know the kind of people that I run with,' he said to her as if it was obvious. 'I know how to get what I want and when I want it too.'