twenty three

word count: 3k

~

'Picked her up the day before yesterday. She was on the run. The evasive technique was impressive, she has talent and training... and then I saw this,' Dick told his three former teammates and pushed himself off of the doorframe to hit a few buttons on the keyboard in front of Eleanor.

Eleanor watched as the screen zoomed in on a shadowy figure that was unmistakably Deathstroke.

'Fuck me,' Hank muttered and moved to get a better look, unsure whether he was seeing what everyone else was.

Donna turned to face Dick.

'I thought he was dead?' She asked with a mortified look on her face that caused Eleanor to raise her eyebrows. 

'We all did, but he's alive and well, and in San Francisco,' Dick said and crossed his arms tightly.

'So who is she?' Donna pushed.

'Her name is Rose Wilson. Deathstroke's daughter.'

Eleanor ducked and flinched as Dawn raised her voice and asked, 'You have Slade Wilson's daughter in the other room?'

'You're fucking with us right?' Hank asked, making Eleanor's concern grow for Dick's safety.

'I didn't know who she was when I picked her up,' he said in his defence.

'And now you do yet she's still here,' Donna snapped.

'Yeah, obviously it's a concern.'

'A concern?' Dawn asked and stood up from her chair to approach Dick. 'It's pathological. Dick, I get that you have a soft spot for strays, but she can't stay here,' she stressed her words.

'Deathstroke is why we shuttered this place. We limped away, I didn't come for round two!' Donna said, her voice breaking towards the end.

Dick shook his head.

'I didn't forget. But I can't kick her out, Slade's tried to kill her once he will do it again.'

'Don't you think we're past that?' Hank asked. 'You don't think the same camera that saw you pick her up saw you bring her here?'

'He doesn't know she's here. I covered my tracks, and I'm not kicking her out,' Dick said to Hank, his voice rising. 'Look, we're here for Dr Light, let's take care of him, the girl is my problem.'

Dick left the room in a huff, leaving the three of them to look at one another, and then at Eleanor who had stayed silent the entire time, keeping her head down as she sat at the control panels. It wasn't her business to get involved with— In their words, it was old Titan business.

'Well, so much for old home week,' Hank said gravely.

'Did you know about this?' Donna asked Eleanor as she finally spun around in her chair to face everybody.

'About the Titans and Deathstroke? No. About Rose? Yeah.' She crossed her arms. 'I warned him when I first found out she was here that it wasn't a good idea to keep taking kids off the street, but... he didn't listen. Then when I found out she was Slade's kid, I didn't really get much say in what happened.''

Hank frowned and asked, 'You know Deathstroke?'

'Know about him? Please, that man kicked my ass more times than I care to ever admit,' Eleanor said and rose to her feet. 'Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go cook dinner. I hope you all like rice.'

+

Eleanor nodded her head in thought as she observed both Gar and Rachel spar against Jason, the three of them blindfolded. It was Dick's idea— Something about helping them develop their other senses.