twenty-eight

word count: 2.6k

~

'Eleanor?' Rachel asked quietly as she entered Dick's bedroom with Gar, Jason and Rose trailing behind her— They were all rather quite nervous to see her again.

Dick had gotten up early to make sure he could tell the kids the good news, and even though they thought he was playing some sick game to begin with, when Dawn and Kory stepped in to back his story they practically harassed him to go wake her up so they could see her.

Eleanor was put on strict bed rest according to Dick and Dawn, despite how fine she felt, so she was posted up in Dick's room with nothing to do other than watch TV which was boring her to absolute death. Although, when Dick and Dawn weren't looking, she would get up and clean.

She looked up from her lap where a book sat and at the four kids who entered the room.

'Oh!' Eleanor awed and held her arms up as Rachel moved quickly to cling onto her as a baby koala would cling to its mother. 'Thank you,' she whispered to her and brushed Rachel's hair down before they pulled apart.

Rachel gave her a small smile and cupped her cheek gently before moving out of the way so Gar could hug her. Gar normally gave tight hugs, but this one was so tight it caused her great concern and a little bit of pain. He nearly broke her in half.

'Look at you!' He said and gestured to her widely after stepping back.

'I look pretty good for a dead bitch,' Eleanor quoted from RuPaul's Drag Race, a show they had been watching together for a good month now.

He laughed a little and quietly exclaimed, 'She's alive!' Before falling silent, tucking his hands into his pockets. 'We're glad to have you back, we really missed you.'

'I missed you guys too.' Eleanor then looked at Jason, who was standing next to a very uncomfortable-looking Rose. 'What, I die and I don't even get a hug?' She asked him and raised an eyebrow.

Jason rolled his eyes and mumbled something but broke into a small grin as he quickly hugged her, and whilst although brief, it was awfully tight— tight enough for her concern to grow. The guilt began flooding in. She couldn't even begin to imagine what they had to deal with while she was gone.

'I'm really sorry you guys... I didn't know he was there and maybe if I had just taken my chances and taken the shot when I had the chance...'

'Eleanor,' Gar interrupted her before she could ramble on and on. 'We don't care if you didn't take the shot. We're just so happy you're alive. Now, is there anything we can get you?' He asked. 'Rach and I can make you some breakfast?'

Eleanor eyed Jason as his stare broke away from the window, almost as if he had been spaced out. She looked back at Gar and shook her head. 

'No, I'm okay, thank you. Just, go and be kids or something, I don't know what you do nowadays,' she muttered and swatted at them, causing them to laugh.

'Instructions to go play video games instead of train? This is why you're my favourite,' Gar said and pointed at her before rushing out of the room.

Jason gave her a small nod before leaving as well, clearly in a rush to get away from everyone. Rachel waved and followed after Jason, leaving Rose and Eleanor alone. Eleanor's stare remained firmly on Rose as she squirmed about, not comfortable under the woman's intense gaze.

'I'm sorry that my dad killed you,' Rose said without any trace of empathy in her voice.

'I'm sorry that he thought he did,' she said and watched her as she looked away with anger flickering across her face. 'Look kid, I don't know why you're sticking around, and you know that I don't like you one bit, but as long as you're in Titans Tower, you're a part of the family. If you need anything you come and ask me and I'll help you.'