Chapter 27- Loki

Astraea is quiet on the way to her house, tension heavy on her shoulders as she stares out the window with tired eyes

Astraea is quiet on the way to her house, tension heavy on her shoulders as she stares out the window with tired eyes. "You okay? What were you up to tonight?" I ask, worry settled deep in my chest.

"I was hiding from my foster brother." She murmurs, "He's usually out of the house at night so I make it a habit to only leave during the day."

I lick my lips, "You'll be eighteen next year." I whisper, "Do you still have enough money saved up?" I question, remembering her plan.

Astraea lets out a shuddering breath,"No, my foster mother stole it." Rage radiating off of her like waves, "She took it all, Loki." Her fist clench, "I don't have anything anymore, I have start all over again. Do you know how hard it was to save up all that money? I don't want to sell anymore." My heart aches at the raw emotion in her voice. Astraea had been saving up for years to get her own place and take care of herself, it was hard at first because getting a job with a criminal record is never easy so she made the decision to sell drugs.

I swallow thickly, "I can get you a job."

Her eyes shut briefly, "I don't need you to be dragged into my bullshit. Stop worrying about me." She tells me, her voice firm. This was a conversation we always had because Astraea didn't think she was worth the trouble and obviously I didn't give a shit what she thought.

"Shutup." I hiss, "It's just a job unless you want to be stuck selling drugs forever."

She scowls, "What is it?"

"The lady we grew up around has a bodega, her husband died so she's all alone." My throat tightens at the thought of her husband, remembering the small gathering they had for him because Maria couldn't afford a funeral. "She needs help with the store. She's very nice and she'll take you in if you ever need place to hide since you don't want to stay with me." I explain, glancing at her from the side of my eye. She was staring out the window in thought, "Or..." Her frown deepens when I trail off.

"What?" She snaps as I pause.

I roll my eyes, "Matias. He's works with cars and shit, he's not looking for help but he'd never turn down a person who really needs the job." I inform, "My brother works with him." I add, thinking about Lucio who I haven't spoken to for a while now.

Something in her eyes flicker at the mention of my brother, "The one that came to help us last time?"

I nod my head, frowning, "Yeah, why?"

"He thinks I've been giving you drugs." Astraeas brows furrow. "He found some in my bag from the night I was selling it and he immediately thought I was the one giving you drugs." She tilts her in thought, pursing her lips, "He was kind of a dick and told me to stay away from you, said I'm a bad influence or whatever."

Anger bubbles in my throat, "That's bullshit, don't listen to him." I spit.

She smiles but her eyes are dead, "You relapsed, huh?"