Christmas Party

Christmas Day, two days after my little drunk incident. I make my way to the Living room where I find Peter on the couch watching TV.

Two days and we haven't talked about it. I guess he assumes I was too drunk to remember, and I wish I was. I wish I didn't remember the embarrassment I put myself through. I'm glad he hasn't brought it up but there is still this hidden awkwardness between us.

"Hey," I say standing next to the couch. He looks up at me and smiles.

That smile, why do I crave that smile? Why is it that a simple smile can make me feel happy, excited.

Enough Gwen!

Maybe it's because we're friends. Maybe because he's like family to me now. Maybe it means nothing.

Or maybe...

"Hey," he says, breaking me from my thoughts.

"So, um, Steph is having another party today, a Christmas party," I say slowly. His smile seems to fade a little and he just nods. "I was thinking, maybe you should come, too. She invites a lot of older people so you can mingle, make friends or something? I mean we've talked about how hard it is for us to meet people, how hard it's been for you to make friends. So, this could be fun. It could be a nice change." I say and the silence between us grows.

"I don't," He starts but I can't let him reject.

"Peter, you need to get out more. I rarely see you go out with friends, you are either at work, here, or out doing whatever it is you do. I mean that might be you socializing but you won't tell me so I have to assume you might be out to meet drug dealers or something." I say and he laughs. "They are fun people, and you might have a good time? Plus, no one should be spending Christmas alone." Apart from being the closest thing I have to a family being in another universe, Peter has never once spoken about his. Maybe it's a sensitive subject? Maybe he doesn't have any? From my own experience, that's a subject I don't pry in.

"Ok, fine." He says defeated. I can't hide the grin on my face.

"Great, then I'll be getting in the bathroom so the room is all yours, let's try leaving around 6?" I say, he nods and I rush to get ready.

After an hour or so, I emerge from the bathroom wearing a silk short tight green dress. It wasn't a formal party or anything but I take Christmas seriously, almost as much as I do so with Halloween. Christmas was my favorite holiday back home to spend with Tony and Pepper.

Peter is wearing a black button-down and black jeans. Something unusual for him. He looks great. We both stare at each other, taking in our outfits, appearance, maybe for a little too long. He clears his throat.

"Um, should we head out?" He says and I nod.

We arrived at the party at 7, a little late, but thankfully everyone was already dancing and drinking so our late arrival went unnoticed.

Steph was well off, her words not mine, she was definitely a little more than well off thanks to her parents. So her apartment was literally the whole top floor of her building. I never bother asking what her parents do to have the money, I didn't care.

"This is where you were staying? This guy she's dating must have been a major dick to make you want to leave," He says and I don't respond. Of course, the place was amazing, but it isn't like living with Peter. I enjoy his little apartment better.

We make our way to the kitchen and get drinks, I obviously decided to abstain from alcohol given my last experience being, me making a fool of myself. He hesitates and decides to do so as well.

So soda for both of us it is.

I see one of Steph's friends enter the kitchen where I and Peter are both leaning on the counter. She's pretty, also 23, maybe even his type. I call her over.

"Hey Kate, this is my friend Peter. He's new to the whole party thing and I thought, ''What better person to show him a fun time than you?" I say and he glares at me. Kate eyes Peter up and down and she clearly likes what she sees, can't blame her. She smiles and grabs his hand.

"Let's dance. You look like you could loosen up a bit." She says and before he can protest he is out of the kitchen. And I am alone drinking soda. I feel an uneasy feeling in my chest.

Jealousy.

But it was my plan, my doing.

Self-sabotage

I head out of the kitchen and sit on the couch. I watch from a distance as they both dance. Well, she dances and Peter just moves to the noise trying his best. It makes me laugh, he is such a dork.

They laugh, he seems to be enjoying it. I'm happy for him.

"Wanna dance?" I look up and it's the same guy from the last party. I look over at Peter, if he can enjoy the party then so can I.

"Sure," I say and get up. He pulls me into the crowd of dancing bodies and we dance.

He holds me close and our bodies move against each other to the rhythm of the music. I almost forget about everything else.

Then my eyes meet Peter's. There is something unreadable in them, and he doesn't break eye contact.

So I do. I turn back around focusing on the guy I'm currently with and ignore the sensation of Peter's eyes on me.

But I feel his gaze, I feel it throughout my body. Like he is not just looking at me, but all of me.

"I'll be right back," I say to the stranger and start walking around the apartment, I walk into the nearest door which happens to be a bathroom.

The apartment looks so different when it's filled with colored lights and people.

The door opens and in walks the one and only Peter Parker.