It starts here

I was able to convince Peter to let me throw a small party, more like a close friend get-together. After the bathroom discussion, we went back into the crowd and got to meet a lot of cool people. So I thought what better way to get to know these new friends than a party? Well, a get-together since Peter does not like the idea of a party at the apartment. So I have spent the entirety of the day decorating for This New Years' party while Peter has been out doing whatever it is that he does not tell me.

So now with an hour left before guests start arriving, I rush to the room to get dressed. I look through the closet in search of something, anything to wear. The first and last dress I had bought was the one for the Christmas party, but all of the guests coming tonight are from that party so I can't exactly wear the same thing. So I decided to just wear black leggings and one of Peter's button-up shirts. Not the best outfit but whatever that doesn't look like something I usually wear works.

And as I begin undressing, in my literal underwear, the window opens. I turn to see a man and scream, grabbing for the blanket to cover myself.

"Sorry! Sorry!" He yells over my screams and I instantly recognize the voice. He covers his eyes with his hand.

"What the hell Peter." I exhale in relief as I catch my breath. "Why are you coming in from the window?" I say annoyed.

"Long story. But um, party, what time?" He asks, trying to make his way to the closet. With his hand still over his eyes and the other guiding him to make sure he does not walk into anything.

"In less than an hour," I say and continue to get dressed. He finds the doorknob on the closet door.

"Right, I'll go in here and get changed, again sorry," He closes the door and I finish leaving the room. Just in time, there's a knock at the door. I fix my hair and make my way to the door.

"Hey!" Oliver pulls me into a hug and I let him in. Following I greet Mike, Susan, Franky, Alex, and Bella. "Angie had texted me, she's going to be a little late picking up everyone else." He says handing me a bottle of wine.

So maybe my age didn't come up during the party. But does it really matter?

"Hey, guys," Peter says as he walks out of the room. His eyes fall on me and are quickly drawn away. What is up with him?

The window.

Shit.

He saw me half-naked.

Shit.

Apart from being embarrassed and avoiding Peter for most of the first half of the night, Angie arrives. And in follow Diego, Eddie, and Kate. Why is Kate here? Who invited Kate? Was it Peter? Is he interested?

I look over at Peter and he looks as surprised as me, he turns to look at me and I look away.

Great, just... great.

-

So a little background on our friends. They are all older in their early twenties.

Oliver is dating Mike. They are more so Peter's Friends but nice people.

Franky is Susan's roommate. They are on Broadway while Susan is a co-worker of mine.

Alex and Bella are dating.

Angie is Susan's on and off girlfriend, and as far as I know they are on again.

Diego is Oliver's brother living with Eddie.

And Eddie was the one who invited Kate as his date.

However, as far as the night goes, Kate has been constantly flirting with Peter. So I drink, we all drink, but I drink to forget.

Jealousy.

-

Not long after, Jack arrives. Jack the stranger I had previously made out with, danced with, and have been talking to since both of Steph's parties.

It's a fun night. We talk, laugh, and drink. It's fun until it isn't.

"So, what do you do Paul?" Jacks manages to say, for someone who arrived late, he's the first one to get drunk. We are all sitting on the couches and drinking. His arm is around my shoulders and his breath stinks. He had been loud and obnoxious most of the night and I was so over it. So over him.

"His name is Peter." I roll my eyes and try pushing him off of me.

"That's what I said." He says and his grip around me tightens.

"I'm a free-lance photographer." Peter answers.

"Seriously? Is that like a real job? Do you get paid much?" Jack says and It hit me. He's jealous.

"Stop being a dick, Jack." I say and he laughs a little.

"Hey, I'm curious." He says. I look around at everyone else and notice how uncomfortable they seem. "I have a right to know the man living with my girlfriend." I push his arm off of me and stand looking at him.

"I am not your girlfriend. And if you are going to be an asshole to Peter then leave, I don't want you over anymore and lose my number." I say and point at the door. His smile fades and he looks around at everyone else clearly embarrassed. He gets up, jaw clenched, and stares me down before leaving.

I turn to look at everyone else and grab my empty glass, I pour more wine in it and drink up.

"Lets dance." I say and force a smile and everyone is clearly more at ease with him gone. I go towards the speaker and turn up the volume. Angie and Susan are the first to be up and dancing.

With an hour left 'till midnight, everyone's laughing and dancing and having fun again.

I manage to slip from everyone and head to the roof. As cold as it is I take in the night air and lights of the city. I'm still angry over the Jack situation, and my phone hadn't stopped ringing with his calls. I hear the stairway door open and close.

"Shit, it's cold." He says and laughs. "Where's your jacket?" Right, I forgot to get one.

"Somewhere inside I guess." I say.

"Are you okay?" He asks, stepping closer. He wraps his jacket around my shoulders.

"Yeah, I guess I needed air. You don't need to do that, you'll get cold," I say trying to return his jacket but he keeps it there.

"I'll be fine." He leans on the wall of the stairwell next to me. I look up at him, at his eyes, and I could tell that there is something that is bothering him.

"It's fine. I'm fine." I smile to try and reassure him. He opens his mouth as if to say something but the door opens again. Everyone makes their way onto the roof.

"Hey, there you are, I was looking for you," Kate says walking over to us while everyone else finds places near the ledge waiting for midnight fireworks.

"Kate, sorry I just, um," He looks at me not knowing how to finish that sentence. I take off the jacket and hand it back to Peter.

"Here, I'll go get mine from inside," I say and walk away, not giving him a chance to argue.

I get back just in time, fireworks start going off and I look around at everyone, couples having their first kiss at midnight, and people cheering.

Susan walks up behind me and wraps her arms around me tight. She kisses my cheek. "We're going to be best friends, just you wait." I smile.

A New Year. A New start. New faces, New Universe.