Let's Do Groceries

It was a beautiful, snowy January morning in Seoul. The streets are almost empty, covered in powder white. Some people choose to stay in bed and savor this winter morning, others choose to get up and start the day with coffee and paper before leaving for work.

And then there’s a certain couple who decided to stay in their bed together and bask in this moment of waking up next to each other for first time in Seoul as a married couple.

Jennie and Lisa just got back from their honeymoon in Paris last night and it’s only fitting they get to sleep in the morning after. Packing and sitting inside a plane for almost half a day can be exhausting, and the jetlag wasn’t helping either.

It was Jennie who first moved. She was lying on her right side, feeling cold. She fumbled for the thick blanket close-eyed starting from her lower body to her back. She felt the edge of it and pulled the blanket over her. A moment later, the other woman budged from her sleep and pulled the blanket to herself, making Jennie shiver again.

And again, she pulled the blanket, making it a tug o war of sheets between the couple until she mumbled, “Lili, I’m cold”.

The Thai woman hummed as they lay back to back, which was unintentional.

“I’m cold. Don’t hog all the blanket”, she uttered in her sleepy state.

Lisa then moved from her position and enveloped her wife both with the thick blanket and her arms. “Better?” she placed a small kiss at the top of Jennie’s left shoulder which put a smile on her face.

“Much” Jennie replied sleepily and they both fell back to sleep.

Jennie woke up first. She reached for her phone near the bedside lamp and checked the time: ’10:06am’. As much as she wants to sleep some more, she knew she, they as she corrected her thoughts, have better things to do.

“Lis?” she softly tried to call out to her wife.

“Lili?” she tried again.

“Baby?” she got nothing but a small hum.

She moved to face her, the other unconsciously loosening her embrace.

Jennie smiled at the figure lying next to her, hair messy on the pillow, bangs definitely out of place showing off the forehead she’s so hell-bent to cover, side profile that looked so flawless she couldn’t help but ask herself sometimes if she’s real, that this woman is really her wife now.

The Korean smiled at her inner musings.

Jennie laid on her side, the side of her face resting on one hand and just watched Lisa sleep. She lightly and gently put some stray hair that’s covering her face and stared at her lovingly, the only thought she have at the moment was how in love she is with her.