Migraine

JENNIE

"Ok, people. Pick it up. Today's a Friday. You know what that means. More people are coming. Let's go, let's go, let's go! Chop chop" I clap my hands to emphasize the last two words.

It's the start of the weekend and in the restaurant business, that means more people, more food to serve.

I work as a sous chef at this swank French-European restaurant named "Le Nuage", which means "The Cloud" in French.

The reason it's named like that is because the restaurant sits at the topmost floor of a famous 5-star hotel in Seoul, giving the guests a perfect view of the sky, overlooking the Han river.

We pride ourselves at providing excellent quality in the food and beverages we serve, not to mention the extensive variety of European menu we have. People come here to have a taste of Europe. I am lucky enough to be a part of all these for 4 years now. I love my job. It's stressful and demanding but seeing people enjoying the food we cook and serve is a feeling like no other.

"Chef! I got two orders for Coq Au Vin, one Pasta Amatriciana, Souvlaki, Seafood bisque and Sauerbraten", one of the waiters relayed to us another round of new orders.

"Ok. You heard the man. Move it." Our executive chef will be arriving shortly. When he's not around, I manage the kitchen.

I roam around the bustling kitchen area, checking my colleagues doing their tasks at hand, making sure they're doing everything right.

"How are we doing with our Filet Mignon? Make sure not to over cook the meat. Remember, medium rare". I give his shoulder a "goodluck" tap.

"Yu-Jin, watch that boiling pasta. We want that al dente. Nobody wants a soggy pasta, arraseo?" Yu-Jin removed the cover of the pot and took out a noodle, biting on it in the middle to test if the pasta is cooked properly. I smiled her way to relieve her stress.

"What are you doing, Yeri? I told you, sweat the onions! Not caramelize it. Come on! Do it again. Sweating the onions enriches the flavor of tomato sauce. You know that." I pinch the bridge of my nose. We can't afford making mistakes on a simple dish.

"Sorry, chef." Yeri looked down and pulled another sauce pan and started heating the oil.

"Start another batch. Keep the heat in low. You can do it, Yeri". I put my hand on her shoulder and give it a small squeeze.

"Chef, where's the Chocolate soufflé? The customer is already asking for her dessert." one of the waitresses said.

I run towards the oven and pulled out the baking pan where the soufflé was placed to cook.

"I got it, I got it. Give me a minute". I start sifting confectioners' sugar on top and arranged sliced strawberries and mint leaves for garnishing. I took the plate and place it on the tray, tapping the call bell to signal the servers that it's ready for pick up.

I look around the busy kitchen and sighed as I was already feeling tired, standing and barking orders and doing some of the cooking myself for hours. I glance at the clock, and it's almost time for me to leave.

"Hey, guys! Sorry I'm a little late. Friday traffic was terrible." Mino, our executive chef has arrived.

I approach him and filled him in with where we are at handling orders. He just nodded, as if taking everything I say to him mentally. He's gifted like that. You only need to tell him once and he will be able to memorize every detail you say, not missing a beat.

"Okay. Thanks, Jennie. Take care on your way home."

"Thank you, too, Chef Mino, for allowing me to change my shift schedule today." I give him a warm smile, wanting to know I appreciate his consideration.