Begin Again (finale)

A. N.

Let's finish this.

JENNIE

JENNIE

I must be crazy for saying yes to a stranger, going on a roadtrip with someone I just met but something tells me that it’s not that crazy after all. Because in the short period that I spent with Lisa, I know deep within me that I can trust her. Again, there’s just something about her.

She led us to her car and opened the passenger door for me, I mumbled a “thanks” as I got in. We both got strapped in and she played her songs. ‘Ah. A Swiftie. How cute’.

We're driving along the highway and probably on our 4th Taylor Swift song. She might have noticed that I was humming along and maybe mouthing the lyrics of the songs that she broke the silence between us, “You listen to Taylor Swift?”

“Of course. Who doesn’t?”

She just gave me a pleased look and shook her head with a chuckle, “Someone”.

I just nodded, getting where she’s coming from.

“You know you’re free to sing along. I won’t judge.” She lets out a small laugh as she taps the steering wheel.

The song is quite fitting for the moment we’re in and it made me quite conscious but I want to look past that. I want to enjoy this day. For the first time in a long time, I wanted to feel happy and carefree again.
I tried to find something from my bag that could act as my microphone, a hairbrush, and started belting out,

“In this passenger seat, you put your eyes on me, in this moment now, capture it remember it.”

She screams, “Yeah! That’s it! Woohoo! Jennie-yah!”

“Sing with me, Lisa”

“And I don’t know how it gets better
than this
You take my hand and drag me head first, fearless
And I don’t know why but with you
I’d dance
In a storm with my best dress, fearless”

We sang it while swaying our bodies along with our heads, especially me feeling it, as she was driving so she was still cautious and focused while singing.

We ended up tired, singing at the top of our lungs, sometimes looking at each other, mostly me looking at her while she’s singing and driving and can’t help but adore at how cool and comfortable she looks. We settled on our seats, relaxing, our backs sitting straight as we both stare at the road ahead.

Silence enveloped us but it wasn’t the awkward one, far from it. When she asked me a question.

“What’s your favorite hobby?”

“Writing.”

She sports a teasing grin, “Really? Writing what? Like stories or something?”