27

“Uhm… I’ll be leaving now.” I said to my boss, Mrs. Anderson.

“Oh, really?” She replied. “Is there any problem?”

“No. I just feel a bit sick.”

“Okay, darling. Who am I to say no to you? I can handle the affairs of this place on my own, and you can return when you feel better.” She patted my shoulder.

I had to stop myself from cringing at her sweetness. She’d have definitely barked at me if I wasn’t married to Tristan. Funny how some people change their attitude towards you because of your new status.

I grabbed my purse and left, calling Mike again as a reminder.

Shortly after, the car pulled over in front of the bakery and Mike came out of it, turning around to open the door to the passenger seat for me. 

I suddenly felt a load of weakness hit me and I almost fell but Mike held me. “Are you okay?” He asked.

“I’m fine. There’s no problem.” I chuckled, holding the side of my head to give it a slight massage due to the ache in my head.

“Get in the car first.” He sounded really concerned as he helped me into the car, wore the seatbelt over me, stared at me for a while then shut the door and got into the driver’s seat to start the car.

He was constantly glancing at me as he drove us home.

“You don’t have to be worried about me.” I chuckled.

“Why wouldn’t I be? You’ve been acting strange for the last few days I’ve come to pick you up from work.”

“I’m really fine. No problem at all. I just need to rest.” I flashed a smile at him.

He didn’t look convinced at all but focused on the drive till he finally pulled over in front of the mansion.

“I’ll help you out.” He offered.

“It’s not—”

“Please.” He held my hand. I sighed in defeat; there was no way I could convince him.

After giving my hand a tight squeeze, he got out of the car, turned to open the car door for me, and gently pulled me out. It suddenly felt like my body was struck with an object that made me lose my balance and almost fall, but Mike held me up once again.

“See? You’re not fine. I’ll walk you in.”

“You’re just being dramatic, Mike.” A chortle escaped my throat.

Of course, because he was the boss of me, he didn’t listen to me but still supported me in walking to the front of the door.