41

~ HAZEL ~ 

This week had gone by pretty slowly. I never realized how hard and time-consuming working at a restaurant and bakery was, accompanied by managing the hotel with Sherri’s assistance. Sherri was surprisingly very good at business management. I guessed she had studied it in college or was just naturally talented. 

“Phew… another long day.” Mrs. Anderson said, receiving the tray from the waiter and dropped it on the counter. 

“It’s almost time to close the restaurant and there are still so many customers.” I sighed, reaching for a banana I had dropped on the counter before attending to a customer. 

“Yes. I’m so exhausted.”

“We’ll need to train the other cooks more in order to start the 24-hour availability.” Sherri added, also dropping a tray on the counter. 

The restaurant and bakery had grown so much in such a short time. However, the perfect food and pastries only resulted from all three of us working together to make them. The other cooks were really great and had high standards, but they didn’t possess the magic in their hands to make the meal as perfect as we were able to. That only made life harder for us. 

“We’ll close the restaurant in about an hour.” I dug my teeth into the remnant of the banana. 

“Thank goodness! Last night I had to work till almost midnight because we closed late.” Sherri said in relief. 

“Mrs. Hendrix?” Sarah, one of the waitresses, called as she walked into the kitchen. 

“Hey, Sarah.”

“A couple has requested to see you.”

“A couple?” I lifted an eyebrow at her. 

“Yes. They claim to be special customers.”

“What are their names?”

“They wouldn’t tell.”

“Okay… let them know I’ll be there soon.” 

“Okay.” She bowed her head before taking her leave. 

“A couple? I didn’t arrange any appointments with anyone for you today.” Sherri shrugged. For some reasons, Sherri felt the need to be my personal assistant and arrange my schedules. I never asked her to do it, but it came out really handy in helping me out with balancing my life. 

“It doesn’t matter. I’ll be back soon.” I washed my hands, took my apron off, then left for the restaurant. 

“Hey!” Charlotte beamed. 

“Wow, Charlotte! I didn’t expect that.” I pulled her into a hug, her very bumpy tummy serving as a barrier.