39

“Oh… what’s that? Is there a toy model of my husband or something?” I quirked an eyebrow at her, hoping to convey the message that she wasn’t making any sense. 

“No, Hazel.” She replied through gritted teeth. “I want Tristan back. Don’t you remember he was mine before I decided to give him to you?” 

“Is this Tristan you speak of an object? I can help you search for a tristan.”

“This isn’t funny at all. I’m not kidding, Hazel. I want Tristan back as mine. Tristan Shane Hendrix. I don’t know what you’ll do or how you'll do it, but you have to return what's mine back to me.”

I paused, peering into her sky blue eyes for a while, before throwing my head back to laugh uncontrollably. 

“I’m being dead serious here. Nothing is funny at all.” She clenched her fists, not bothering to hide her frustration. 

I just couldn't stop myself from laughing; tears started rolling down my face from excessive laughter. I had to hold onto her shoulder to support myself.

“Hazel!” She snapped, throwing my hand from her shoulder. “Are you going crazy?”

“I should be asking you that.” I made sure to wear a dead-serious expression, wiping the tears from laughter off. “I think you’ve lost your mind.”

“How dare you?” Her face flushed red with fury, her fists becoming even tighter. 

“I think you’re crazy. You probably need to visit a psychiatrist. What the hell is this?” 

“You’re cruel!” She barked, panting. “I can't believe you'll betray me like this, after all I’ve done for you. I’ve helped you out in so many ways: I've saved you from going hungry, saved your aunt and yourself from being killed due to your multiple debts, brought both your asses out of poverty, and many more.” She was yelling at the top of her lungs. “Now that I want what’s rightfully mine, you're trying to deny me of that? No, Hazel, no.” She shook her head. 

“Indy, you know how much I love and appreciate you for everything you’ve done for me, but how on Earth did you think I’d sacrifice 'my' husband, just to pay back for everything you've done. Does that make any sense to you? Are you even listening to yourself? You sound really stupid.”

She gasped, widened her reddened eyes. “You…” her body was quivering from rage, “…Hazel, you've made the biggest mistake of your life. I gave Tristan to you, now I want him back. Is that too much to ask?” 

I stared at her, confused and pissed. “Too much to ask? It makes you sound insane. Why would I let go of my husband whom I love with all my heart, just to satisfy your greedy desire?” 

“That’s the problem! You're very evil. I knew you had feelings for Tristan. It was always so obvious from the way you stared at him, acted around him… I should’ve listened to Claire when she warned me to stay away from you— she always mentioned that someone as poor as you would also be poor in thoughts and therefore evil in their deeds.” She was still yelling at the top of her voice.