44

I served Tristan’s breakfast to the tray and carried it to our bedroom. 

Tristan was frowning as he struggled to wear his tie, muttering complaints to himself. 

With a smile on, I dropped the tray on the table and sauntered to him, grabbing his tie. “I’ll help you out with that.”

“Oh. So you’re still here?” He asked coldly, taking his tie from my grip. “I can do this myself.” 

“Tristan, don’t act like this, please. I apologize for not spending enough time with you; there’s just been a lot of work to do at the restaurant, and I was too occupied.”

“Too occupied to even spare time for anyone else?” He asked, almost rolling his eyes. 

“Are you kidding me? I didn’t even have the time to spare for myself. I’ve been way too tired and busy.” 

“You never listen to me when I’m at least trying to speak to you.”

“Are you being serious right now?”

“You mostly doze off or shun me.”

“Shun you? Are you kidding me? That just sounds childish. Why would I ignore you intentionally? Do you know how many times you've fallen asleep while I was speaking to you?”

“What exactly makes you so busy at work? There should be nothing much.”

“Excuse you?” I frowned. “I’ve been trying my best to work hard for you; I know you put a lot of effort into creating the restaurant and everything for me, and I’m trying to make sure I don’t disappoint you by failing in the business. Why are you making it seem like I’m lying or something? Why would I be working extra hard if there's nothing much to do? Don’t you trust that I’m working? You shouldn’t let such things harm—" 

“I’m sorry.” He sighed, lowering his head.

I also heaved a sigh, running my fingers through my hair. “I’m also sorry. I admit I have been letting my work affect our marriage, but I'll try my best to stop letting that happen. If you want, I won’t go today. I’ll be with you all day long… oh no. Shit. I have an appointment with this extremely wealthy man. He wants to use the hotel hall for his daughter's wedding venue. Gosh, the girl is so annoying and picky: she only wants food prepared by the three of us. She could even sense the difference between the taste of what we cooked and what other Cooks prepared and she wants just ours at the party. Her father is willing to pay a huge sum of money to meet her needs, but why won't she want the Cooks' food? Isn't that just crazy?” 

“You really possess magic in your hands.” He smiled for the first time this morning.

I realized that this was only going to consume my time again. "Oh wait, I'll cancel it if you want.” I shrugged. “It would definitely make me work even more and not spend quality time with you.”

 “You shouldn’t cancel it. I also have to go to work today, there’s an important meeting. How about this? There's this little — it’s supposed to be a surprise but anyway… I’ve booked a hotel for us for tonight. I was going to cancel it since you're busy, but if you're free tonight,” he curled an arm around my waist, pulling me to his chest, “there should be no need to cancel it. Just me and you away from the world. At least for tonight. Alone.” He smirked down at me.