46

Guilt was eating me up. If only I had just let Hazel be and not insisted, she'd have been fine. We could've been doing something fun, or she could've been cooking happily or anything else but struggling for her life. 

A nurse came out of the emergency room. “Will Hazel be fine?” I asked the nurse, holding onto her arm. 

“Hazel? She’s conscious now. You’ll be able to see her soon.” She smiled and patted my hand before taking her leave. 

“Wow. Thank goodness!” I sighed, relieved that she was alive. I had been pacing around the hallway of the hospital with no news of her for a few hours now, so this was good testimony. 

I resumed pacing around the room till I received attention from any other Nurse or a worker, permitting me to see her again. 

After a while, I was finally called by Doctor Steve to his office. 

“Good afternoon, Tristan.” He greeted me, indicating that I had a seat which I obediently did. 

“Good afternoon. What's wrong with Hazel?” I asked, feeling my heart beat faster at the possibility of hearing bad news. 

“We can't be certain yet.” He sighed, turning to the woman standing beside him of whose presence I only noticed. “This is Katie, she's a high-degree therapist. From what you discussed about what happened to Hazel, it seems to be more of a mental-related issue, so I called her over. She also suspects Hazel's condition is related to a mental disorder, but she'll have to speak with Hazel first and examine her, then we can know what to dive into for treatment.”

“Why isn't that happening already? I hope her life isn't at risk?” My eyebrows curled upwards in worry. 

“I have to speak with her first. We’ll need you to be with her, if she'll be more comfortable to speak with you by her side.” Katie spoke for the first time.  

“Sure! Let's go to her now!”

We left for the room Hazel was in. She had a glass of water glued to her lips on our entrance. 

“Tristan!” She exclaimed, a smile crawling up to her lips. 

“Oh my gosh.” I hurried to sit beside her, pulling her into a tight hug. “You scared the hell out of me.” I pulled away, cupping her face. “Are you fine now? Are you okay? I’m so sorry for insisting and pushing you too much till it resulted in this. I don’t know what I'd have done if my curiousness led to something else and I lost you. What if we weren't able to restore—”

“Tristan,” she chuckled, holding my hands from her face. “It’s okay. It's not your fault.”

“Mrs. Hendrix, if you don’t mind, I’m Katie, a therapist and I’d like to ask a few questions regarding what happened.” 

“I know what’s wrong with me.”

“You do?” Katie and I asked in unison.