36

“Tristan,” I sighed and hunched over, staring at my toes. I was confused; different thoughts were running through my head. Could Tristan possibly find anything about me before being the me I am right now?

“You still don’t have anything to say, right?” Tristan still sounded really pissed off. 

“Tristan, you don’t understand,” I said in almost a whisper. 

“Then make me understand!”

I shut my eyes as tears resumed rolling down my cheeks. 

“Gosh, Hazel.” He groaned before rising to his feet. 

“Tristan, please.” I raised my head to him. 

His eyes softened, obviously because he noticed the tears in my eyes. “What’s the point of these tears? What’s keeping you from speaking? What is wrong? What are you hiding?” 

I tried to at least say something, but more tears stopped me from uttering anything. 

“Excuse me?” We were interrupted by Sherri who was standing by the door with a tray of foods in her hands.

“Why are you here?!” Tristan barked at her, clearly from being frustrated by me. 

“I–I’m sorry… I… I just…” 

“Speak.” He ordered through gritted teeth. 

“Madam hasn’t had anything to eat all day, so I decided to bring her food to her and found her here.” 

His glare travelled from Sherri to me, then he grabbed his suit coat and wore it over his body.

“Where are you going?” I asked. 

“Away.”

“Away?”

“I’ll return home tonight, so don’t worry about me." The coldness in his tone made it feel like a sharp knife was stabbing my heart. 

After walking up to Sherri, he whispered something to her, then took his leave. 

“Can I come in, Madam?” Sherri asked with a small smile. 

“No. You can take it to my room or the dining table.” I waved her off. 

“No, please. I can’t let that happen. You need to eat. Please come with me.” 

“Sherri, just—”

“Please.” 

It was clear that she wasn’t going to give up. 

With a sigh, I rose to my feet and staggered to her, wiping my tears off.