Part 3

That evening Shane and Nicky were sitting cuddled up on the sofa, talking about everything and still nothing. One of their usual, quite pointless, chitchats to clear their minds and discuss things. And, just a reason for being close, listening to each other, sharing secrets.

They were interrupted by the phone. Nicky wistfully eased out of Shane's embrace and went to answer it. He came back a few seconds later, 'it's for you, babe.' Shane got off the sofa, 'who is it?' Nicky shrugged. 'No idea.'

'Hello?' 'Hello is that Shane Filan?' 'Yes, it's me,' Shane replied, his forehead wrinkling in confusion as to who the man was. 'I'm Dr. O'Connell from Sligo General Hospital. I'm phoning you about Connie Smyth. I believe you know her?'

'Yes, I do. Is there something wrong with her?' Nicky, who was standing nearby, could sense the worry that rushed over Shane at that instant. He went over and put his arms around Shane from behind. 'I'm afraid Mrs Smyth was seriously injured in a car crash this morning.' 'O, God, is she gonna be alright?' Shane could hear the doctor hesitate. 'I'm afraid it's very serious, maybe only a matter of hours. She's been asking for you. Will you be able to come to see her?' Shane could feel tears threatening to fall as he replied, 'Yes, I'll be there within an hour. Thank you.'

He broke down as he put the receiver back. 'What's wrong?' Nicky said softly as he embraced him. 'It's Connie.... She...' He couldn't say more, and didn't have to either. Nicky caught on. 'Where?' 'Sligo General.' Shane managed to reply in between tears. Nicky nodded, and got a coat to put around Shane's shoulders. 'Come on,' he said as they left the house; Nicky supporting Shane who was blinded by tears.