Part 6

15 minutes later Shane and Shauna came back down. Nicky had gone into the kitchen to make breakfast. 'Ahhh, isn't it the little birthday girl!' Nicky exclaimed as they entered the kitchen. Shauna giggled and reached her arms out for Nicky. Shane handed her over and as Nicky and Shauna sat down Shane finished off the breakfast Nicky had started.

After breakfast the party preparations started. Shane and Nicky had invited loads of Shauna's friends, her grand parents and some of their own families, so it would be quite a big bash. Shauna was happily running around playing with the balloons and other decorations, having forgotten about her parents for a while. Shane and Nicky had a hard job trying to keep everything together, until it was time for Shauna's mid-day nap.

Nicky looked exhausted as he came back down after bringing Shauna to sleep. 'Hard job?' Shane asked. Nicky nodded, 'God, yeah, she's VERY excited about this party. She's gonna get nice presents and she can't stop talking about everything she wants!' Shane smiled, 'Lovely. Well, at least she's happy. That's all that matters.'

3 hours later Connie's parents arrived, marking the beginning of the party. Shauna, who was rather dolled up in the princess-style dress she'd picked out when they'd been at the shop earlier that morning, was getting more and more over excited, her eyes gleaming as the guests arrived and she was the centre of attention. Not to talk about all the presents she got.

By the end of the day Shane felt quite exhausted. He sat in the sofa, watching Nicky taking part in some game with the kids, and Connie's mother came and sat beside him. 'I think you're doing a brilliant job so far,' she started. Shane looked up, 'Thank you.' They sat in silence for a while, watching the turmoil that was going on.

Connie's mother spoke again. 'It must be hard on you though.' Shane nodded, a heavy sigh escaping his lips. 'Yeah, she reminds me a lot about Connie.' She nodded. Shane and Connie had been friends since they were in nappies, and looking at Shauna now she was so much like Connie that Shane must be pain fully reminded off her every day. 'Well, good luck anyway. If there's any problems just give me a call. And, don't spoil her too much.' Connie's mother rose and left as Nicky made his way over to Shane