Part 17

Shane was in the kitchen with his dad preparing dinner. His parents had taken Shauna back, seeing as Shane didn't want to leave Nicky alone, and Nicky wasn't fit to go up with him. 'Shane, I think you should take Nicky to a doctor,' his dad started. Shane looked up, 'I know, but he doesn't want to. He's convinced it's just the flu.' 'The worst case of flu I've ever seen so. If it hasn't gone away by Monday you ought to get a doctor to look at him. He doesn't look like he'll be able to do much protesting anyway.' Shane sighed. His dad was right. Although Nicky had got out of bed, he was quite restricted to the sofa. And, Shane was quite sure it wasn't just the flu.

Suddenly Shane's mother came into the kitchen. 'Nicky's not looking too well,' she said shortly. Shane dropped what he was doing and went into the living room, his mother and father following him. Nicky was lying on his back on the sofa with his eyes closed. 'I'll go call for an ambulance,' Shane's father whispered. Shane nodded and went up to Nicky. He opened his eyes. 'How do you feel?' Shane asked as he put his fingers on Nicky's neck to get his pulse. 'Dizzy,' Nicky whispered faintly. His pulse seemed to be a little bit below average, but then Shane wasn't an expert so he wasn't too sure. Nicky closed his eyes again. 'Nicky?' He opened his eyes again and looked at Shane. 'Don't close your eyes, ok? Just keep looking at me.' 'I'm so tired...' Nicky wailed. Shane reached his hand to stroke Nicky's hair, 'I know honey, you'll get to sleep later. Now, try and keep your eyes open for me, ok?' Nicky nodded slowly.

Just as the paramedics arrived Shauna started crying upstairs. Shane rose, I'll just go check her, it'll only take a minute,' he said to Nicky as he left.

'What's wrong sweetie?' Shane asked as he picked Shauna out of the cot. She stopped crying. 'Thirsty.' Shane found the bottle of water they kept on the table and gave it to her. She drank a bit and gave it back to him. 'Are you ok now?' Shauna nodded. Just then Mae came into the room. 'Is she ok?' Shane nodded. 'Yeah?' He kissed Shauna's forehead and put her back in the cot. 'Look sweetie, Nicky is sick so I have to go with him to the doctor. Mae and Peter will mind you and I'll be back soon, ok?' He explained, knowing if Shauna woke up and found neither of them was there she'd panic. Shauna nodded slightly and he said good bye and went back downstairs.