Part 8

The next few weeks were hectic. Not only did they have to cope with becoming parents, they also had the media flocking outside their house and the pressure of finding a suitable childminder. Ok, there were LOADS of people who wanted to mind Shauna, fair enough, the problem was to find someone genuine who wasn't only after the chance of going on tour with Westlife.

After 3 weeks of talking to different people, they seemed to have found someone suitable. Her name was Fee, and she had just finished school and was looking for something to do for a year before going to college. She was young, friendly, responsible, and bonded very well with Shauna, which was the main thing.

So, after 6 weeks it was back on the road, with two new additions to the Westlife entourage. It was time to start rehearsals as they were bringing out a new album and needed a short set of songs for showcases, so luckily Shauna could still be with them a lot. In fact, after two days of watching the lads dance all day, she started to join in herself, livening up the whole procedure. Shauna soon became something like the Westlife mascot. With her charm everybody was petting her, and she had a potential of being really spoilt by the end of it.

The press and public was a different story. Obviously, a majority of the fans stuck with them, faithful as always. But the press was bad, all sorts of things being said. And much of the public seemed to find it un-acceptable that two men would ever be able to take care of a child.

But it all changed one morning when the lads were due on a morning show and Shauna refused to leave Shane. She clinged on to him, stubborn as ever, and in the end there wasn't much more to do than hope for the best and let her sit on his lap during the interview.

Afterwards they started to wonder why they hadn't thought of that before. Nicky naturally sat down beside Shane and Shauna, and apparently they looked so much like a family that the press had a field-day the day after, while the public started to rethink if they could provide a good home for her. All for the better, hopefully.