Chapter 2

'Your Grace, it is taking longer. May I suggest you wait in your acquaintance's house till we get the carriage out of this puddle,' said Mr. Rame, Lord Advent's assistant.

Lord Advent stood gazing at Captain Zennor's house; all the lights were out.

'No, I will wait here.'

He didn't want to disturb the Captain. Seeing they don't have a maid, it could be a burden to the Captain's granddaughter.

Lord Advent thought about his friend, Neville Zennor. Neville would have been proud to see his daughter now. Despite their poverty, she looked like a happy person. When she smiled, she smiled from the heart. A rarity.

She was a little older than his daughter. He had a difficult time with his three daughters. He always seemed to say the wrong things. Seeing Miss. Zennor, he could not help but think he failed to do a good job with his daughters.

His eldest was never satisfied with anything. She was seventeen and will have to debut next year. She dismissed more handmaids than he cared to count. His second daughter is twelve and needed a woman's guidance and the youngest is eight, well he didn't know what to do for her either.

He clenched his hand furiously thinking of his wife. What is the use of thinking of someone who is no longer with them? Miss. Zennor seemed a happy person despite her situation. He wished his daughters were more like her.

Emma changed into her dressing gown and climbed onto her bed

Emma changed into her dressing gown and climbed onto her bed. It was early but she was dead tired; with all the cooking, cleaning and crouching, her legs felt like lead. She thought of Lord Advent, he seemed to be a perfect gentleman. His wife must be a lucky woman. She felt faint jealousy. If only she is fortunate enough to find someone like him.

Suddenly someone knocked on the door. Wondering who would be calling at this hour Emma rushed to the living room.

Without opening the door, she asked, 'Who is it?'

'It is me,' came the voice of Sir Morval.

'Sir Morval!?'

'Open the door,' he commanded.

'It is late, we should talk in the morning.'

'You have been avoiding me, Miss. Zennor. So we will talk now. Open the door.'

'It's late,' she protested.

'Open the damn door,' came his angry voice.

'No. Please leave.'

He started kicking the door loudly. The door gave in and opened with a crash. Emma screamed. He looked at her and gave a wicked grin. He reeked of alcohol.

'Emma!' Mr. Zennor walked laboriously towards her.

'Sir Morval, is there an emergency? Why are you calling on us so late?'