Chapter 14

Emma stopped crying or 'acting out' as Mrs. Dennis phrased.

Mrs. Dennis had a word with Emma once she calmed, 'You are not a commoner, but Duchess of Watford. Your every action has consequences. Crying like that would only degrade Lord Advent's and Watford's reputation. The Duchess should lead, her duties always comes first.'

Every day felt like years for Emma. She would wake up early and join Amelia for breakfast. Amelia would insult her, which she took silently. Then she spent most of the morning with Mrs. Dennis training or performing some Duchess' obligation. The only small comfort she could afford was the innocence of Amy and Amanda, who usually joined her in the evening.

Lord Advent wrote for his daughters to join him in Watford Castle. Everyone left. Emma had never been this lonely in her whole life. She even started to miss Amelia's insults.

'Your Grace', the sharp voice of Mrs. Dennis, brought her out of the trance. She was staring out of the window thinking about another life where her husband reciprocated her love. Her only reprieve nowadays was her wistful dreaming.

'I am sorry Mrs. Dennis, did you say something?'

'I asked whether you would like to skip Wellington's ball.'

'No, I must not. It's the season's most important ball.'

Mrs. Dennis let out a heavy sigh, she curtsied and left.

For the past few weeks, Emma had been surreptitious about her personal life but attended public gatherings all the same. Her crying in the garden and Lord Advent's abrupt departure to Watford without her had made it to the local gossip column. She had to endure the worst of maturing.

Some vultures were so direct and asked whether Lord Advent was considering separation. She pretended it didn't bother her and her husband left because of an emergency in his estate. Nevertheless, the whispers followed.

'Why leave his wife alone in London when Watford is so near?'

'Why take his children with him and not his wife? Maybe she trapped him in marriage telling a false tale of pregnancy'

Mary helped Emma get dressed, it was an extravagant red dress. The colour was so loud. Mrs. Dennis had selected it. Emma had no idea what takes place in Mrs. Dennis' head. One moment she wants Emma to skip the ball and the next she dresses her so extravagantly. Only a blind man would not notice her. Emma sighed, tonight was going to be worse, her bright red dress would make sure the vultures will have no difficulty spotting her.

Wellington ball was usually a grand affair. Even a country girl like Emma has heard of it. When the announcer announced Emma, she slowly descended the stairs; heads turned in her direction. But her eyes found him and it saw only him.

There was Lord Advent, standing tall. Their eyes met, nothing existed in the world except for her as he walked slowly towards her. He met her at the bottom of the stairs. He bowed his head and offered his hand.

Music began and he guided her to the dance floor. Should it have to be waltz! She couldn't take her eyes off him. She was scared he would disappear if she so much as blinked. Was she dreaming? But his warm hands on hers couldn't be a dream.

Emma tried her hardest to remember all the training Mrs. Dennis gave her on how not to show her emotions. It was getting harder to care, by the second. She missed him to the point where she no longer ate or slept. She felt lonely, ignored and unwanted. Here he was looking at her as though she was the most beautiful thing in the world. It felt unreal, almost like a dream. They broke apart as the music ended.

'I will fetch you a drink,' said Lord Advent and left. She stood staring at his retreating form.

'Emma!' someone squealed and hugged her.