Chapter 33

Emma heard the gun being triggered, the pain she was expecting never came.

'Damn you, Amelia, what are you doing?' exploded Mr. Robert. Amelia had fired near Mr. Robert's foot.

'Uncuff her or I am shooting you,' she said angrily.

'Amelia, I don't understand. You hate her and want her gone. Why are you protecting her?'

'I hate her, but I don't want her dead. Now untie her. I wouldn't be aiming my next bullet to the floor.'

Mr. Robert gestured to Riley with his head, who nodded and moved near Emma to untie her. But as he neared Emma, he took out his knife and held it to her throat.

'Drop your gun,' he commanded Amelia.

'Amelia, don't! Get out of here. Save yourself,' Emma shouted.

Riley pressed the blade closer to Emma's neck which drew blood.

'Leave her alone or I am shooting you first.'

While Amelia was distracted with Riley, Mr. Robert removed another pistol from his pocket and held it to Amelia's head.

'Time to stop acting the hero. Now drop the gun and hold your hand above your head.'

Seeing no choice, Amelia dropped the gun and did as he said.

'I really didn't want to kill you. You were very useful to me. Every one of your father's employees is so loyal to him, you can't even bribe them to spy. But you Amelia are such a nice informant. All I had to do was act empathetic and listen to your stupid blabbers.'

'You... ' she yelled. But he pressed the pistol hard on her temple.

'Now, I just have to frame you for Emma's death and make sure your father never recovers your body.'

'Mr. Robert, please leave her. I would do anything,' pleaded Emma.

'So she could out my little secret? I think not. Morval, you are free to do "anything" as you please, to Emma.'

Morval gave a sick smile and said, 'Thank you, sir.' and dragged Emma by her handcuffs.

'Leave her alone, leave her alone,' shouted Emma.

Morval pushed her into a room, before slamming the door shut.

'Let's start from where we left off, shall we?'

Emma heard Amelia scream followed by a gunshot.

'Amelia! No! You bastards!' Emma screamed. She heard the gun being shot again.

'Shut up, bitch!' said Morval.

Emma didn't care, she didn't care about dying anymore. Amelia was dead because of her.

The door burst open, she turned to find Nicholas standing in the doorway.

Seeing Morval pointing his gun at Nicholas, Emma yelled 'Nicholas, watch out!'

But Nicholas had already shot Morval. Nicholas rushed to her side.

'Are you hurt?' he asked frantically, seeing her sobbing.

'Amelia! Is she alright? Did you get her on time?' sobbed Emma.

'She is fine, Mr. Bennet is with her.'

Emma rushed out, Amelia was standing alone. Emma hugged her.

'I thought! I thought! Thank god, you are ok.'

'Don't need to get all worked up. I am still alive,' Amelia said, pulling away from Emma's hug.

'Where is Mr. Bennet?' asked Nicholas.

'Robert ran off, I think Mr. Bennet is giving him a chase.'

Antony came back looking livid, 'That coward escaped, they took the carriage. It must not be difficult to follow their trail.'

'No, we must leave before town authorities arrive. I don't want anyone to know Amelia was involved.'

'You informed the town authorities?' asked Amelia.

'I instructed Rame, we might need backup in case the rescue fails.' said Antony.

'It is your fault, you marry a riff-raff and I become the one to suffer.' Amelia accused Nicholas.

'Amelia!' started Nicholas angrily.

But Emma put a hand on his chest stopping him.

They all walked outside. The horses Nicholas and Antony rode were grazing nearby.

'I am not riding with Mr. Bennet. What if someone sees me with him?' Amelia said, her nose wrinkled in disgust.

'Don't worry, I am already engaged,' said Antony, returning the nose-wrinkling..

'That's even worse.'

'I can't ride too,' said Emma.

'Why not?' asked Nicholas.

'Isn't it obvious?' asked Amelia, before Emma could answer.

'What's obvious?'

'She is pregnant.'

Nicholas froze in tracks.

'No need to look like you have been clubbed in the head,' scorned Amelia.

Nicholas came out of his daze and asked, 'Is it true?'

Again Amelia answered before Emma, she wanted to ruin it for them. 'You both were trashing all over the place like a pair of eels, it's hard not to.'

Emma gave a tiny nod. Nicholas didn't care that he had an audience. He pulled Emma into a hug and kissed her.

'I am sorry. If I ever make you cry again, just shoot me,' Nicholas muttered.

'Nicholas!'

'Please forgive me.'

'Ok, but know that my aim is good.' she said smiling mischievously.

'I know dear, I love you.'

'I love you too.'