Chapter 11

Lord Advent remembered Emma smiling like a child when she showed her embroidery supplies that she got during the shopping trips with Mrs. Dennis. She was particularly happy that she found the golden thread which was hard to find in Gloucester. She found happiness in small things. He wondered when was the last time his daughters were this happy about something.

Emma was busy preparing for the Duchess' meeting. Lord Advent felt proud, she didn't sulk or complain. Mrs. Dennis was keeping her busy. She aced the training with a smile.

He saw blue orchids on his way home and bought them for Emma. He placed them in her room with a congratulatory card. She sure would be happy to find them. When Rame informed him Emma was waiting outside, he couldn't stop smiling.

She walked in wearing that tiara. The tiara he had gifted Elana before she conceived Amy; he never saw her wear it. He felt a spurt of anger. He didn't want any reminders of those painful days.

He knew he was being harsh to her, but the rage was already all over him. If she stayed any longer, he would do something very stupid. Maybe, wrench that tiara off her head. The urge to punch something was so overwhelming. He stood up and left the study.

 He stood up and left the study

Emma was confused. Lord Advent seemed a complicated man; one moment he was charming and the next he was pushing her away. He was smiling when she entered his study but became grim the next minute. She didn't know why. Emma made her way sadly to her chambers when she met Amelia on the way.

Amelia shouted, 'How dare you wear my mother's jewellery!'

'I am sorry, I... I didn't know.'

'Your act of innocence doesn't fool me.'

'I am sorry, Lady Amelia.'

'Your treacherous plan to steal everything is working?'

'Please I would never. I am sorry.'

Emma kept apologising, tears streaming down her face but Amelia didn't budge and kept insulting her.

Lord Advent saw Emma begging for an apology with tear laden eyes.

'Amelia! That's enough!'

'She took my mother's title, her room and now she dared to take her -'

'Emma doesn't have to take anything, she is the Duchess of Watford. It's rightfully hers. You should know your place, she is the Lady of this house,' he yelled before Amelia could finish.

Amelia glowered before leaving. Emma apologised one more time before fleeing to her room.

If only Emma knew that Lady Elana had owned this jewel, she would never have dared to touch it. With a sinking heart, she realised Lord Advent was still in love with Lady Elana. She was hurt, she wanted him to love her. She has fallen in love with her husband. It should be really simple but it was not.

She skipped dinner as she wasn't ready to face anyone yet. There was a knock on the door. It was Lord Advent.

'Are you alright?'

'Just a headache, I will be fine,' she said, keeping her eyes fixed on his legs. She didn't want him to know of her feelings.

'I bought you some muffins.'

'Thanks.'

'I am -' Lord Advent hesitated, 'I am sorry for my behaviour and Amelia's.'

'I... I... understand, it was my fault as well. I am sorry.'

He placed the plate of muffins and a glass of milk near her.

'Please have some for me.'

He made sure she ate some, before leaving. Emma wished Lord Advent would stop being so kind to her. It only made her long for him even more.