Chapter 3

'Captain! How could I marry Miss. Zennor. She is Neville's daughter. My best friend's daughter!'

'I know he would trust her to you, he did it once. Please, for Neville. Please help me protect his daughter.'

Mr. Zennor continued begging, 'Please! You can protect her from a cruel fate. Please!' 

Lord Advent finally nodded in affirmation.

'Please check the marriage contract and let me know if you need to add any more conditions,' said Mr

'Please check the marriage contract and let me know if you need to add any more conditions,' said Mr. Rame to Emma. The marriage was due in a day. A special license was arranged. Lord Advent appointed a nurse, a cook and a butler for Mr. Zennor and a handmaid to help her.

'No, he has done more than enough already.' replied Emma.

'Modiste will be coming today to fit your wedding dress, if you need anything please let me know.' Mr. Rame smiled and got up to leave.

'Mr. Rame, Can you please tell me Lord Advent's name?' Emma asked. She was going to marry a man without even knowing his name.

'Lord Nicholas Advent, Duke of Watford.'

'Nicholas,' she mouthed quietly.

'You will be Lady Emma Advent, Duchess of Watford.'

Her breathing hitched, she knew Lord Advent was a Duke but hadn't imagined that she would become a Duchess.

The memory of the wedding was a blur and before she knew it she was bidding farewell to her grandfather.

'Don't forget to take the medicines on time, don't skip meals.'

'Don't worry about me, I will be fine. Look after yourself.'

Lord Advent helped her into the carriage and climbed in after. He sat next to her and silently handed her his kerchief seeing her cry.

Lord Advent had visited Emma once before the wedding. He spoke about his family in London, and his three girls Amelia, Amanda and Amy. Emma hadn't decided what to feel about becoming a mother to a girl who was just five years younger than her.

His first wife Lady Elana had died in an accident; that was all he said about her; he seemed so overcome by emotion. Emma knew how it felt to lose a loved one. Her parents had drowned during a voyage. She and her grandfather had never been able to set foot on a ship after that.

Lord Advent may be twenty years older than her, but he was a good and honourable man. She thought of the day she met him. He was a perfect gentleman and treated her well.

They stopped by an Inn for the night. The owner showed them to the rooms. She and Lord Advent were not sharing a room, but there was a connecting door.

She heard a knock from the connecting door and opened the door with trembling fingers. Emma couldn't help but feel her cheek heat up.

'Shall we head downstairs for dinner?'

'Yes, Your Grace. Please give me a minute,' she said, trembling.

He was waiting outside her room. He offered his hand as they headed to the private dining room. She was nervous throughout the dinner. She tried to eat, but it all felt rubbery and her throat wouldn't simply allow anything in. She almost puked from the nerves.

'Are you alright?'

'Yes,' she tried to sound honest but it came out as a squeak.

When they returned to the room, Emma could practically hear her heart pounding in her chest and her insides were twisting. They stopped when they reached the door. She felt embarrassed to even look at him, she blushed deep red.

'Good night, Miss. Zennor,' Lord Advent said, before leaving to his room.

A moment ago, Emma's insides were twisting but now she felt like she had no insides.

She climbed into the bed, fully dressed and crying. Surprisingly, the fact that Emma's fears didn't come true made her feel disappointed. This was a forced wedding. She didn't expect a life of love and flowers out of it, but neither did she look forward to this. His rejection was plain and simple. She felt hurt.

'Will I be spending the rest of my life not being acknowledged as a wife?' She thought bitterly, pain twisting her heart.

He addresses her as Miss. Zennor. As though they have not taken their wedding vows.

Slowly she calmed herself. She tried to see their lives with more realism. He was forced to marry her. If she were him, she would have been furious. Instead, he treated her well. Her grandfather was living comfortably, it was all thanks to him. She could have done a lot worse, she shuddered at the thought of Morval. Lord Advent has saved her.

'Mam, it's me, Mary. May I come in?' asked her handmaid as she knocked on the door.

Emma wiped her tears before answering. 'Yes, come in.'

Mary was carrying a tray of biscuits and a teapot.

'His Lordship asked me to bring you some biscuits, was the food not to your liking?'

'No, I wasn't hungry.'

Mary helped her change into a nightgown.

'Have a good night, Your Grace, and don't be nervous,' Mary said giggling as she left.

Lord Advent may not have accepted her as his wife, but he did care and she could live with that. She decided to make herself scarce and not burden Lord Advent in any way.